Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Region 5 Deer activity

Re: Region 5 Deer activity

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Everyone can get lucky once.
    It only becomes impressive when a guy can demonstrate his ability to do it several times.
    Absolutely.
    And there are a few folks who do on a regular basis harvest big bucks.
    Part of that is definitely determination, hard work but also finding an area that many folks just haven't considered and also, have the time
    and are relatively close to the area to begin with.
    Not everyone has that opportunity even if they have the other factors needed.

Those that harvest big bucks of the road, well that is "Luck".
    Also another factor needed.
    Lots of folks hunt hard and see bucks, but never see a 200+......ever.

Only have to look at the MD record book of BC and read stories to see how some harvest them just by driving....lots.
    Others I know and they had property no one else could hunt and the seasons went really late with tons of snow, so they harvested
    really big bucks, both MD and WT.
    Look at the ones from Lumby....that was a family affair back in those days.
    I know a relative from that group and he has one in the books as well as the others in the family tree.

I will say this about "big bucks".
    I have limited time and funds to go on hunts so I have to plan around that factor, as well as my hunting partners.
    There is a reason I don't hunt much for MD in October.
    Part is, I am not interested in spike bucks etc.
    But there is another thing that seems to occur.

Over the past 10 years or so, I have come across 2 3pt mature bucks, that I am sure would score 160 at least.
    And these 2 bucks are "dominant" and I have witnessed them chasing 4 pt bucks away and watched them do the humping.
    Frustrating because I am there in the 4pt season, and I know they are spreading that potential 3 pt gene.
    And these bucks do tend to come back to the same playgrounds, at some point (they move around) and thus if you hit it right,
    which is the "luck factor", you can find these bucks.

But it also tells me during the whole time of "any buck" that runs till end of October, hunters don't come across these 2 bucks.
    Shows that these big boys can stay well away from traffic and hunters until the rut.
    They are out there, we just don't find them.

Frustrating about the point restriction to be honest when it comes to this.
    Seen it with bull elk that are just 5pt forever.
    Some folks will drop a spike or fork and others let them pass.
    Chasing the breeding bucks only makes no sense to me, but that is the rule for everyone at that time.

Anyways, they are out there.

Did 4 day hunt at Meldrum Ck (5-14)& only saw one 4 point taken.Lots of smaller bucks but numbers down for sure.

Only ever seen 4 poopers with my own eyes. 1 of which I got, 1 was past legal shooting light lit up by a full moon on a ridge, 1 I tried to get my buddy to shoot but his safety was on, 1 was the first time I had ever seen a deer that big while out hunting.

Saturday is the last day for the bigguns for the year. I say I'll take a porch buck right now, but my brother says I'll probably let it walk... time will tell I guess. It's cooled right off. Should be interesting to see what happens. Went and checked the trail cams the other night. Nice and noisy in the woods now ... may have to steal Ruppster's crab apples and hunker down with the bow on sunday and hope for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by markomoose View Post
    Did 4 day hunt at Meldrum Ck (5-14)& only saw one 4 point taken.Lots of smaller bucks but numbers down for sure.
    It's been warm and not much for snow, but that being said... I haven't hunted that area in several years.
    Last edited by warnniklz; 11-28-2019 at 12:23 PM.

Trying to post a pic of 2 region 5 4 points we got when it opened back up, no luck posting

Quote Originally Posted by Ocean jade View Post
    Trying to post a pic of 2 region 5 4 points we got when it opened back up, no luck posting
    I gotchu... first one didn't come through so good

Hey...congrats on them.