Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Region 5 Deer activity

Re: Region 5 Deer activity

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Great post of "observation"!!
    Yes, from frozen ground to age, I think you covered everything I am thinking as well.

And YES, BIG BUCKS TAKEN FROM ROAD"!!!!!
    I have no clue why I bother to hike my ass all day, thru rain and icy fog, with feet soaked full of water and freezing (yes, my boots are done),
    up early, come out a dark, with not enough water, only to hear someone took a nice one right on the road!
    (I know, I like the challenge and the thought that big bucks are away from everyone!....lol)

Worst part is with those road bucks, they seem to just stand there broadside, and don't move with their Doe/s.
    In the woods, they scream away in an instant.
    I know of 4 bucks taken those few days we were out...all from the road.

Anyways, I am really curious to see the study from collared MD in several areas down south in BC.
    It will hold some interesting things I believe.
    Where and when will this study be published?

Quote Originally Posted by SemperAurum View Post
    Here is my observation about 2019 mule deer in region 5 and 3:

Feed is abundant due to rainy summer and steroidal grass growth in fire areas. The grass is taller than I have ever seen it. The deer are not desperate for a meal and have no reason to concentrate on winter ranges.

Does are young. I no longer see any old, mature does. Most of the visible bucks are young. Big bucks are around (I have seen their tracks) but they keep well hidden. I find it funny how some guys drive down a busy road and shoot a whopper. Damn things are unpredictable in the rut! I have seen some whoppers that were shot by road hunters this year.

If wolves or coyotes are active (they are) they deer will stay out of the open and stick to thick bush or steep terrain. Their habits and movements will change from day to day depending upon pressure. Lack of snow makes it hard to detect the presence of predators.

Some of the alfalfa ranches have decent resident deer numbers, but again, if predators are in the area, it can appear as if there is no deer.

NO SNOW up high. The top of Blackdome Mountain for instance is pretty much devoid of snow. Same goes for the Marbles and every other range in every direction. No need to leave the high country yet or at all.

The ground is now frozen. No new tracks to be seen even if they are there.

The does are also spread out into small groups. (3-5 does). No big herds concentrating in any one area.

If you hunt the burned areas be advised that the deer hear you and see you coming from a mile away. They will just move along and you will never see them.

Thankfully, almost every hunter continues to drive past some of the best hidey hole deer honey spots. Big bucks are rarely seen fom pickup truck windows mid day in areas with no snow. Also, Hunters and traffic have very little affect on deer.

I do firmly believe that deer numbers are way down from previous years.

Just a few of my observations.
    Hmmmmm IMO bang on. No deer per sey migrating yet..feed levels are exellent everywhere..snow levels are below average..
    Hmmm even Warrenknz Dads favorite spot has great numbers of bucks running around..couple studs.
    Gang..Horsefly, Big LAKE..Blue lake..all have better than normal deer still there. .fat and sassy..
    Even my favorite area out east..Nick campbell leasmans son first buck..couple 250 pound body bucks right where they should be..just easier to access...
    As for moose couple hunters did not connect..yet in 2 hours found 3 bulls right where I left them 12 months prior.
    My favorite deer sit for mulies is only 20 minute stroll..in..looking for bunnies seen 3 big bodied bucks..probably on decline due to age.
    most deer still are in town..in my front lawn..nightly..lol
    Srupp

Ruppster... I haven't seen that 3 point kicking around lately. You seen him at all? Wonder if he's down in the river valley or hanging in the dairies.

Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
    Ruppster... I haven't seen that 3 point kicking around lately. You seen him at all? Wonder if he's down in the river valley or hanging in the dairies.
    hmmm he was here last week..3:15 am eating crabapples 30 feet from front window.
    still 4 or so down the street nightly..small spiker is here this week.
    Cheers
    Srupp

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Where and when will this study be published?
    Well, that's a different story!
    BUT, at some point it has to be available to the public!
    And yes, folks directly involved and "their friends that they tell" definitely benefit the best.
    For example, my hunting partner ran into another hunter, whose friend is directly apart of the study in one area where they put up
    a multitude of Cams and Collared some deer.
    Obviously he is going to know a lot about what comes out.

I need to find that thread that started originally and see if anyone one there know when the sudy will be completed and when it may come
    available.

Another FYI, they were smart about "where they collared the deer as they did it in an area where deer do migrate to.
    So there are some brains behind this one I think!
    And as far as migration and lack of snow or when plus the Pred issues (not just hunting), this study might be of great value.
    Things certainly are different now from say 30 or 40 years ago, like snow and preds and even all the logging now.

A local kid pulled a stud out of the woods this week from (I'm assuming) around here. I'm sure someone is bound to post it up not on his behalf soon enough.
    ^^^^^^
    There are still plenty of really decent big bucks being taken every season.
    Sadly one has to go to FB or Twit to see them posted then on here.
    But it is encouraging and gives one hope that one day someone here could still run into one of those hogs.
    They are out there, just not behind every tree.
    Seen a fellow from Kammy on FB with a huge buck!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    ^^^^^^
    There are still plenty of really decent big bucks being taken every season.
    Sadly one has to go to FB or Twit to see them posted then on here.
    But it is encouraging and gives one hope that one day someone here could still run into one of those hogs.
    They are out there, just not behind every tree.
    Seen a fellow from Kammy on FB with a huge buck!!
    There''s lots of porch bucks out there and they're not overly hard to get. But those ones that make you just freeze up and make you poop a little... those are the one's I'm after

There''s lots of porch bucks out there and they're not overly hard to get. But those ones that make you just freeze up and make you poop a little... those are the one's I'm after
    Yup, I hear you!
    I k ow where I usually go for MD was a great area, but it needs snow, a lot of snow.
    If I am lucky, there is a skiff, and worse, generally frozen and crunchy.
    Many of the old timers would always call the motels in advance to see if there was "fresh snow", OTHERWISE, they did "not" go.
    On top of that, it had some traffic by road guys but rarely any where I hunt on foot except for the old guys that showed me the area and one
    other old-timer who had a grandson that hunted it, with friends but only when he was there.
    BUT, he moved to Quesnel or something, so all friends could now go with out him.
    Think somebody had "loose lips" and now is getting to be a gong show.
    But, I go deeper and farther back, and there is nothing to be seen!
    Again, most get them on the road!!!! (frustrating but true)

Oh well, I will keep looking for that elusive pant pooper!
    It's been years since I seen one, but when I did, I ended up freezing cause I couldn't believe what I was seeing!
    And he didn't care about my existing condition and got the hell out of there.

I do believe you took a real nice one a couple years ago.
    I think Steelpulse also posted up a real beaut as well back around then.

Hmmm years ago a elderly fellow was being driven into Blackdome area where his sons were spending thanksgiving hunting..en route just prior to the calving barn a monsterous mulie buck walked onto the uphill side of the road.guy slowly got out and dropped a typical heavy framed buck in excess of 200 magical mark.
    They cleared the tag, rolled the buck into the pickup..and drove 15 minutes to get his sons to clean his deer.
    I would always prefer to be lucky than good..lol
    The 190 ram 3 years ago was spotted from the highway at Spenses Bridge...on a youngsters first year hunting..no he did not get the 190 on day 1..however he did harvest it on day 2.
    Cheers
    Srupp

Everyone can get lucky once.
    It only becomes impressive when a guy can demonstrate his ability to do it several times.