Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on this cougar?

Thoughts on this cougar?

Pretty sure it followed us back to camp 3 weeks ago. Found it sniffing around my blind a few hours after I left too (and I was the only living thing there for days prior)

Looks like it's pregnant or swallowed a deer whole? And some abscess or wound above the right hip?

I don't know anything about cats other than they creep me out like ticks and spiders LOL

Last edited by caddisguy; 11-17-2019 at 07:48 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Thoughts on this cougar?

I think it should be put down . Just sayin.
    wonder what’s over the next hill?

Quote Originally Posted by dougan View Post
    I think it should be put down . Just sayin.
    Haha I might have considered it if it came around while I was in my blind yesterday or showed up somewhere along the way. I do keep a cougar tag around as they do seem to show up consistently this time of year in this spot. I don't know much about them but hear they are decent table fair.

I actually left my blind before last light yesterday after watching the vid LOL. I know the odds of it actually trying to jump me are pretty much zero, but it does seem to be pretty curious. It's in their nature I guess... it's also in my nature to be scared of these things so here we are

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    Pretty sure it followed us back to camp 3 weeks ago. Found it sniffing around my blind a few hours after I left too (and I was the only living thing there for days prior)

Looks like it's pregnant or swallowed a deer whole? And some abscess or wound above the right hip?

I don't know anything about cats other than they creep me out like ticks and spiders LOL

Thanks for the video!

A stealthy cat looking for its victim normally a deer. They say they can kill up to 1 deer per week.

I've only seen a few cats in the wild since '65 but I'm sure many have seen me. Only had 1 encounter when I relied on a 12 g double barrel shotgun to chase it away firing above its head from about 25 ft. according to Eve.

At another time only a couple miles or so from the area north of Gang a hunter from a nearby camp was charged by a large cougar & shot just in time.
    So some may charge/attack a person usually the smallest given the opportunity.

They don't creep me out at all. They are beautiful animals.
    When hunting I always carry a large knife & keep an eye in all directions.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

I would take it. Some of the meat is great. Hide is good. If you have spare time practice tanning and leather making. Cougar would make nice gloves I'm thinking

Quote Originally Posted by mpotzold View Post
    Thanks for the video!

A stealthy cat looking for its victim normally a deer. They say they can kill up to 1 deer per week.

I've only seen a few cats in the wild since '65 but I'm sure many have seen me. Only had 1 encounter when I relied on a 12 g double barrel shotgun to chase it away firing above its head from about 25 ft. according to Eve.

At another time only a couple miles or so from the area north of Gang a hunter from a nearby camp was charged by a large cougar & shot just in time.
    So some may charge/attack a person usually the smallest given the opportunity.

They don't creep me out at all. They are beautiful animals.
    When hunting I always carry a large knife & keep an eye in all directions.
    I have read that too, that they take 40-50 deer a year. Pretty amazing hunters. They launch like a bullet and they ARE the payload... bunch of razor sharp claws with a lot of weight and muscle behind them and the ability to disembowel and snap a neck like a twig in seconds. Crazy ability but human attacks incredibly rare... very shy and tend to avoid humanoids... that's what I read anyway. I keep my head on a swivel while hunting, but walking around in the dark I feel so vulnerable sometimes knowing these things are lurking around... this area in particular is old prepod.. the vegetation is waist high and there are clusters of fir trees everywhere. That space in the video is the only place you can see more than 15 yards, so you can imagine what is like walking through a maze of high vegetation hundreds of fir intersections back to camp in the dark. Reality is cougar probably seen me walk by a hundred times and laugh at me about being a crappy hunter LOL

but yeah I'm tiny (like 140lbs) and when I'm still hunting I'm often crunched down trying to be even smaller and concealed. For what it's worth one time we had a 25-30lb bobcat try to have a go at us until I stood up and yelled at it haha
    Last edited by caddisguy; 11-17-2019 at 09:17 PM.

looks like a female to me Older one . hard to say tho
    " Never tell me the Odds "

Quote Originally Posted by GOLDEN TOP SNIPER View Post
    looks like a female to me Older one . hard to say tho
    I was wondering they same... maybe even pregnant? I think they can get knocked up any time of year. I would have to go look it up again but that is what I remember reading. I've had a few on cam and seen a couple in 3D and think this is probably the largest out of them... still smaller than some of the big toms I've seen hunters post up
    Last edited by caddisguy; 11-17-2019 at 09:13 PM.

Looks like a great spot for the camera though,
    keep hunting smart.

I’ve seen cat tracks in my foot prints in fresh snow a few times. Probably the most lethal hunter in the North American woods. I’m just glad they don’t like eating humans.

great video
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.