Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on this cougar?

Re: Thoughts on this cougar?

Quote Originally Posted by RICKADY View Post
    Looks like a great spot for the camera though,
    keep hunting smart.
    Thanks! It's a tough MU to hunt but good spot for the cam as you mention. It's an intersection of trails and one of the few places you can see more than 15 yards. I'm really stubborn and know there are way better methods / places to chase deer, but I am doing everything I can to get a good BT buck out of this area.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    I’ve seen cat tracks in my foot prints in fresh snow a few times. Probably the most lethal hunter in the North American woods. I’m just glad they don’t like eating humans.

great video
    I think they are super curious about people. I believe that a few weeks ago this same cougar traced us back from the blind to our camp, circled around the clearing, then circled the jeep and sniffled around where caddisgirl went wee-wee then left. That trailcam video the cougar is about 12 hours behind me sniffing around and I was the only "thing" that went through there in days. I think it's just part of what makes them tick. They investigate everything in their area... everything a hunter should do. Can't even imagine how that brain of theirs works, but I envy their ability. I think the best blacktail hunter can play the detective game and learn an area over years but will never be 1/100 as skilled as these critters... well except maybe proguide lol

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    Thanks! It's a tough MU to hunt but good spot for the cam as you mention. It's an intersection of trails and one of the few places you can see more than 15 yards. I'm really stubborn and know there are way better methods / places to chase deer, but I am doing everything I can to get a good BT buck out of this area.
    Yes same here, got a tough little spot in region 2 I know holds BT's, would love to fill a tag,
    hope were not in the same spot, lol.
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by RICKADY View Post
    Yes same here, got a tough little spot in region 2 I know holds BT's, would love to fill a tag,
    hope were not in the same spot, lol.
    Good luck.
    Ha! It's probably one of the toughest places to get a deer out of. I don't hunt it because I care about actually getting more meat in the freezer... I just do it because I am stubborn and 100% batsh*t insane LOL

wolves descending all over that valley too but still no legal season for them *sigh*
    Last edited by caddisguy; 11-19-2019 at 07:54 PM.

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

I’ve seen quite a few cats. The biggest male was in the Upper Stave. It had just fed on a doe. It’a belly was almost touching the ground it was so full. I firmly believe that for every one I’ve seen in the coastal mountains there have been many watching me. I’m very careful about letting my dog run ahead of me in these local mountains. I’ve had a cougar try to jump on my horse twice while I was riding up on Blue Mountain. Don’t trust them one bit!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Lew View Post
    I’ve seen quite a few cats. The biggest male was in the Upper Stave. It had just fed on a doe. It’a belly was almost touching the ground it was so full. I firmly believe that for every one I’ve seen in the coastal mountains there have been many watching me. I’m very careful about letting my dog run ahead of me in these local mountains. I’ve had a cougar try to jump on my horse twice while I was riding up on Blue Mountain. Don’t trust them one bit!
    Well, they are cats... so I imagine curiosity can switch to opportunity in short order. The only things I know about cats are from observing house cats... personality changes like a light switch

Quote Originally Posted by Big Lew View Post

Don't blame you!
    Reminds me of the 59 lbs cougar that killed a woman and mauled her son while on horseback in BC. The 6 year old was attacked first being the smallest of the 4.
    https://www.outdoorlife.com/articles...iller-cougars/
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    Ha! I have zero problem mentioning the MU since it's probably one of the toughest places to get a deer out of. I don't hunt it because I care about actually getting more meat in the freezer... I just do it because I am stubborn and 100% batsh*t insane... so yeah it's 2-2... anyone cougar hunters want to have a go, great... LOL

wolves descending all over that valley too but still no legal season for them *sigh*
    Have you SEEN any Wolves or just tracks etc from them ? RJ

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    Have you SEEN any Wolves or just tracks etc from them ? RJ
    Saw 1 in 3D, have another on cam I'll post up and heard lots howling last couple years (i sleep in there at least 30 weekends a year so probably 60-80 nights) and yeah lots of tracks. Not blaming wolves for the tough hunting there either... it's always been tough... but they have slashed out of a lot of the valley and spray it with the Monsanto round-up chemicals just like everywhere else... kill the cover, kill the feed... I imagine that will make it tough for the deer and moose wintering... wolves showing up is probably related. The lack of season for wolves seems a couple years behind. I think there should be a WT season too. I am seeing 50/50 ratio of whitetail vs blacktail/muley/hybrid now in the 35km stretch of the valley I observe... so wakey wakey bios.. figure if I've seen one off a road and could have shot it, so could hundreds of other people.

I know how this stuff goes from hunting Region 5. I'd see the odd wolf in daylight there and pretty much any place you step out of the truck there are tracks. Started seeing in 3-14 a few years ago and now seeing it here in region 2

Can I just start smoking wolves and WT's? I'm sure I have fossilized poops in that valley dating back at least 30 years... should have some kind of status lol
    Last edited by caddisguy; 11-17-2019 at 11:43 PM.

140lbs your cougar bait lol

Other then cougars making deer movement go to hell they don’t bother me but I am not snack size lol. I have a hunting partner who is a little bugger if he is hunting solo and a cougar is around it is following him

Kill a BT already