Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My first mature buck

My first mature buck

On Remembrance day I set out from my vehicle around first light. I hiked into a white tail spot about a kilometer off the road. It is a nice mix of treed areas and open areas. I decided I wold still hunt into a an open area that I knew does liked to bed around. The plan was to get to the edge and set up to do some calling. The wind was perfect, it was coming right at my face. As I was slowly sneaking into the area I noticed a deer about 200 yards in front walk into a patch of trees. I figured it was a doe as I didn't get a good look and it was going into a spot I have seen does bed down in before. I kept moving slow but all of a sudden I hear a ruckus like a deer getting spooked and running off. I thought I had screwed up and blown out the whole area. While still wallowing in disappointment I see a deer walk out of the tress I had earlier saw one walk into. This time I see antlers. I throw up my binos and see a nice big rack on top. The buck is walking directly towards me and I am starting to get really excited. I get down and take off my pack and try to line up my rifle on top so I can take a shot. He is moving exactly towards me and I don't want to take a shot straight on so I wait. He walks into a patch of trees and I lose sight of him. I am trying to anticipate where he is going to come out when I hear a loud commotion again. Sounds like trees are getting hit over and over. After a bit I realise this is the buck raking the trees with his antlers. After a couple minutes he finally comes out on the left side and is quartering towards me. He is still partially obscured by leafless trees. There isn't a big enough opening to squeeze in a shot so I look ahead to where he is travelling and see an opening he will walk into. I get my cross hairs lined up in the opening in anticipation. At this point he is about 50-60 yards away and when he enters the opening he is nearly broadside. I touch the trigger and he takes off running. He goes about 50 yards before falling over. As I walk up on him I am amazed at what I see. I have only been hunting for 3 years and this is only the 7th big game animal I have taken. Only my second white tail. My previous biggest kill was a small 3 point mulie, so I was pretty stoked to get this buck.

Picture quality isn't the best but here ya go.
    https://imgur.com/a/no8i3nP

2. Site Sponsor

Re: My first mature buck

Well done.

Well done
    I'm not prejudice, I hate everybody alike.

Beauty! Wish there were a few more whitetail where I'm at.

Nicely done and a prime example of how the rut can work in your favour

guest Guest

Nice buck. Your efforts rewarded you.
    Thanks for posting.

Congratulations on a very nice whitetail!

Good scouting info put to good use at the right time, congratulations.

Great buck and an awesome first three years of hunting ����
    Hunt, Enjoy, Repeat

Great buck well done!!
    wonder what’s over the next hill?