Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eurasian Collared Doves

Eurasian Collared Doves

Noticed some eurasion collared doves in areas close to the rail yards in Prince George a few years ago. One story has it that some were released in the Carribean several years ago and they have been working their way northward ever since. They are an invasive species, and have become fairly populous in some places. I've only seen the local birds in and about residential and industrial areas in town, as I understand is their habit. I imagine there is some grain spillage around the rail yards which they feed on.

Just wondering where else in the province they are resident, and if anyone has had opportunity to harvest or dine on them?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Eurasian Collared Doves

The Eurasion collared dove has been here in the Smithers/Hazelton/Terrace area for several years now. There is a pair at a bird feeder at my neighbour's place this week.
    I don't bother hunting/killing them. Would rather dine on ruffed grouse.
    Semper in excretum altum

We have had them at Nimpo Lake for a few years know. Have a pair that will be spending their third winter here.
    last spring I counted 32 one morning, yes I put out cracked corn for the birds year round.
    I believe the proper name is Asian Turttle Dove.

Quote Originally Posted by robert05 View Post
    We have had them at Nimpo Lake for a few years know. Have a pair that will be spending their third winter here.
    last spring I counted 32 one morning, yes I put out cracked corn for the birds year round.
    I believe the proper name is Asian Turttle Dove.
    do you have a pear tree?...heheh

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    do you have a pear tree?...heheh
    Yup several they are very robust at 3600ft elevations! lol

We have them here in Elkford. Noisy buggers been here for at least two years now.

I see them every day at my place, first one was about 10 years ago. At first I used to stop and stare they were so unique. Now they are like starlings, I don’t even notice them half the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Icedog View Post
    They are an invasive species, and have become fairly populous in some places.
    Which is really weird as the Government's response to this has been to initiate a limited season in some places. Why not place as a schedule C species and have at it?
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU

I asked the same question in a meeting years ago about the new turkey season in Reg8. Gov't considered them at the time to be invasive and a pest, no introductions or relocations allowed.
    I asked Harris et al why is there a season and a bag limit ? 'Because reg4 has one, so we followed'
    ffs
    but we did get a spring plus a fall opening
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

if anyone gets a chance to harvest them in open season,,,try out a few,,,,,,i was pretty impressed with how they tasted,,,,,,i was only able to get my hands on 6 of them,,,,not much meat,,so i just breasted them
    Aim small,,miss small