Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Pants...seriously, hunting pants for BC

Re: Pants...seriously, hunting pants for BC

Quote Originally Posted by btridge View Post
    Blue Jeans.

Cold-add Long Johns!

Wet-add Rain Gear!
    For most of my early season hunting I still wear blue jeans.
    Did you know that you can also buy insulated jeans? (Costco).

Rivers West makes a great rain pants - waterproof, warm, and quiet in the bush.

Based on this thread I've picked up some Eddie Bauer Guide pants and also some 5.11 Tactical pants (from Cabelas).

Not used in the field yet (being summer) but quick impressions:

Guide pants: Very light and comfortable, stretch fabric is great for activities. Don't insulate and should be good for early season when it's warm, they do well in damp. Not a lot of storage options.
    5.11 pants: Little heavier, great pockets and easy to carry stuff on you without having it move around (i.e. in the cargo pockets they have a liner that can keep stuff close to your leg so stuff doesn't bounce around). The double layering key parts should help a bit with longevity.

Looking forward to using both this fall. Thanks for all the tips from folks who have contributed to this thread

May have already been mentioned, but for anyone looking a Fjallraven I'd highly recommend the Keb trousers. I have a pair of Vidda Pro's as well - the Vidda's I find are better for thick brush, bushwacking, etc. but the Keb's can't be beat for comfort hiking in open areas. I've been really impressed with the durability of both.
    The Eddie Bauer guide pants are also great, a few of my friends run those and love them.

Quote Originally Posted by cptnoblivious View Post
    Based on this thread I've picked up some Eddie Bauer Guide pants and also some 5.11 Tactical pants (from Cabelas).

Not used in the field yet (being summer) but quick impressions:

Guide pants: Very light and comfortable, stretch fabric is great for activities. Don't insulate and should be good for early season when it's warm, they do well in damp. Not a lot of storage options.
    5.11 pants: Little heavier, great pockets and easy to carry stuff on you without having it move around (i.e. in the cargo pockets they have a liner that can keep stuff close to your leg so stuff doesn't bounce around). The double layering key parts should help a bit with longevity.

Looking forward to using both this fall. Thanks for all the tips from folks who have contributed to this thread
    I have used both those pants extensivley. The guide pants are a so so mountain pant and are only for the warmest weather. They do not block the wind very well, but do dry very fast. I did have trouble with the stiching around the pockets (had to practice my sewing) on the pair I went through. Also, the guide's are not for any bush whacking as thorns go right through them...ouchy. I think there are better options then the guides. They are great for around town though.

The 5.11 tactical are a great all around affordable hunting pant. Much more durable then the guides, but not as stretchy due to the heavier fabric. No thorns get through the 5.11's. Great pockets and double knee is good. They can get warm on hot days, but I would take the 5.11 over the guides all day.

I still think the Timberlines are the greatest hunting pant ever made.

I have the vidda pros and keb pants which are both awesome. They are worn mostly around town in my case, but if I were to take one on a backpack hunt it would definitly be the Keb due to the stretch fabric. The vidda's have more resistance when stepping up. I'll say agian....they are both badass pants.

Cabela"s microtex pants. Have been using them for years and they work amazingly well. It does not say it on the Cabela's site but they are also very wind proof. The ones they are selling now are a medium weight which are a bit warm for August 1st sheep hunts but perfect for the rest of the year. Fortunately I still have 2 pair of their light weight ones they sold 10-12 years ago for August.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan R View Post
    I have the vidda pros and keb pants which are both awesome. They are worn mostly around town in my case, but if I were to take one on a backpack hunt it would definitly be the Keb due to the stretch fabric. The vidda's have more resistance when stepping up. I'll say agian....they are both badass pants.
    The vidda pro ventilated that i just got have stretch in the crotch ‘gusset’. Was going to go for the Keb, but these were $60 bucks off-still on sale right now I think at Monod Sports. So far they feel really comfortable. Flexible enough to stretch - I could rock climb in these.
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton

Bought several pairs of Wrangler ProGear Jeans in Realtree Camo several years ago. Doesn't appear they make them anymore as it is getting hard to find them for sale. I need to start thinking about replacing them but it looks like I might be SOL.

Quote Originally Posted by joshbazz View Post
    The vidda pro ventilated that i just got have stretch in the crotch ‘gusset’. Was going to go for the Keb, but these were $60 bucks off-still on sale right now I think at Monod Sports. So far they feel really comfortable. Flexible enough to stretch - I could rock climb in these.
    I have the non ventilated version. If they added some stretch fabric to the pants that is a great improvement.

I’ve worn the same 2 pairs of wool army surplus for the last 7 years and they’re freaking bomb proof and warm. I’ve worn them in all weather, from Vancouver island downpours to -23 weather in the interior. Cost me $20.

German army surplus wool, second choice Swedish Army. Rain pants over wool in really wet or really cold weather.