Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pants...seriously, hunting pants for BC

Pants...seriously, hunting pants for BC

I have been hunting number of years and have gear/clothes dialed in...except pants.I either destroy them, or they are too hot,or they are sucking up water like a sponge.I can change top layers easily, but who wants to change pants as you go (or do you?)
    I am tempted to just try long John’s like they wear in NZ...maybe with shorts to protect the plums.
    Any hunting pant experts got It figured out?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Pants...seriously, hunting pants for BC

I have a pair of under armour hiking pants that I love. They’re thicker and tougher than a normal hiking pant,not waterproof though. Depending on the temp, I’ll wear long johns or if it’s really cold I’ll switch to my Columbia wool pants

I struggled with being too hot on warm days, soaked to the bone on rainy days, or ripping the inseam from crouching or climbing. So this year I bought a pair of Under Armour Ridge Reaper Early Season Pants.
    Stretchy material so I can comfortably climb, crawl and crouch. Lightweight and breathable so I don't overheat in the September elk season. They are great with moisture, sweat or precipitation, easily drying out in a breeze, the truck, or some easy walking. Through October and November I've just added some good synthetic or wool long underwear.
    Probably won't use them for snow or frigid temps in the end of November whitetail hunt.
    Quiet, comfy, dry, durable.

I have a pair of arcteryx pants made out of a stretchy material. That coupled with some gaiters seems pretty good. I wouldn’t want to be kneeling down on rocks and stuff with them, but they’re light, breathe well and dry fast. Not waterproof at all though
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

A few suggested Eddie Bauer Guide Pro Pants in another thread. I now own 3 pairs.
    I beat them up constantly bushwhacking and whatnot. They take the abuse and I don't really care if I put a hole in them.
    Pockets are great. Slate green color works for me. Good temperature range but if going hard in hot temps, there are lighter options. They block the wind well.
    Will withstand some light rain but will get wet eventually. If they get wet I find they dry fairly quickly.
    Hard to beat for the price when on sale, which they are right now.
    Get the longer leg option so when sitting and glassing the wind doesn't go up your leg.
    Last edited by Mark-R; 11-16-2019 at 07:24 PM.

I got a pair of wool pants from Gost Wear. I wear them from Oct. on through the season. Tough, not water proof, but they are wool, so it doesn't matter. I just change my long johns with the weather. The have cargo pockets and wash very well. Stay away from Arcteryx and MEC - Raincoast supporters.
    Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets...

I wear polar fleece. They resist water, are very comfortable, are extremely quiet, and dry quick when they actually do get wet.

You can always go high end. Companies like sitka and kuiu make excellent products that address the issues you have. They do cost $$$ and finding one pant for every condition is tough! I run 3-4 different pairs from lightweight summers to heavyweight cold weather and rain pants as well.

I have a couple of pairs of Kuiu Attack pants (currently on sale on Kuiu website) and they are holding up real well on my region 2 hunts. Plenty cool wearing them in early september bow hunts and now the weather has got colder i just wear merino long Johns under them. They are DWR coated and have surprised me with how well they are waterproofed. Days when it is really pouring i just wear rain gear though.

I like Costco lined cargo pants . 29 bucks ��