Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MU 3:13 Pointers

MU 3:13 Pointers

We usually put in our muley doe LEH tags for 3:17 but that area has been hit hard by the forest fire and so we thought we would try something new. We (a group of 5) all put in for 3:13 with 3:17 as our back-up. 4 of us (me included, and I've not had an LEH in about 5 years) were all denied.
    However, my one buddy, who has never in all his years (truth be told he's only actually come hunting about 3 weekends), was successful in the draw. We went scouting up that area (around the Coldwater turnoff) a few weekends back but didn't see anything.
    Any pointers anyone would care to offer would be greatly appreciated. i realize the area is quite large and we were only in the southern portion.
    I'm not wanting, nor expecting, directions to your honey-hole.
    His tag is good for the month of November.
    Thanks in advance.
    "How, given the canine teeth and close-set eyes that declare the human animal to be a predator, had we come up with the notion that oat bran is more natural to eat than chicken?" Valerie Martin, The Great Divorce

2. Site Sponsor

Re: MU 3:13 Pointers

Quote Originally Posted by sapper View Post
    We usually put in our muley doe LEH tags for 3:17 but that area has been hit hard by the forest fire and so we thought we would try something new. We (a group of 5) all put in for 3:13 with 3:17 as our back-up. 4 of us (me included, and I've not had an LEH in about 5 years) were all denied.
    However, my one buddy, who has never in all his years (truth be told he's only actually come hunting about 3 weekends), was successful in the draw. We went scouting up that area (around the Coldwater turnoff) a few weekends back but didn't see anything.
    Any pointers anyone would care to offer would be greatly appreciated. i realize the area is quite large and we were only in the southern portion.
    I'm not wanting, nor expecting, directions to your honey-hole.
    His tag is good for the month of November.
    Thanks in advance.
    Your partner has the easiest leh there is to find success. Maybe not the easiest area but a Mule deer doe should not be difficult. My advice is to look around for sign. Tracks are your friend and tell you what is going on in the area. No tracks, move location. If you see tracks, stick it out until they start moving. Keep an eye on wind direction. Your friend should find success if those basic tips are followed. Good luck to you guys. Just have fun and don't feel any pressure.

Comstock exit go straight up the forest Service road look for cutblock on google maps that have forest above and below sit first and last light glass till its to dark to see. You’ll get your deer

I had that draw once and saw a ton of does in October while hunting any buck season. Went back in November and had to chain up all four tires to get in in the snow.

I found a side road heading uphill under the power lines past Gillis Lake that had lots of tracks but despite camping right there and several days hunting the area I never saw a deer. Locked myself out of my truck though and broke the extra cab window trying to pry it open, so that was amusing.

As a person who lives in Merritt, I can tell you come November, you can hunt mule does with a cookie and a hammer. Had my doe LEH last year, filled it Day One with a big ol' girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Mann View Post
    As a person who lives in Merritt, I can tell you come November, you can hunt mule does with a cookie and a hammer.

too bad you didn't get some video. I think it would go viral.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Mann View Post
    As a person who lives in Merritt, I can tell you come November, you can hunt mule does with a cookie and a hammer. Had my doe LEH last year, filled it Day One with a big ol' girl.
    Okay, good to know. I'll pack a cookie, hammer and apparently chains.
    We were scouting up that way a few weeks back and saw not one deer but did spook a small black bear.
    Thanks for the responses so far.
    "How, given the canine teeth and close-set eyes that declare the human animal to be a predator, had we come up with the notion that oat bran is more natural to eat than chicken?" Valerie Martin, The Great Divorce

Well, I was back up there two weeks back and although I saw more new country still didn't spot any deer. I was planning on doing more scouting last weekend but with the cold snap and snowfall (and considering I was going to be alone) decided against it.
    We'll be heading out the Nov. 6-8th weekend with doe tag in hand and hope to have some success then.

hmmmmm,,,maybe Midday Valley Rd? South out of Merritt towards Lily Lake. I'm just not sure about the property back there anymore whether its mostly private or what as I havent been for a number of years. Maybe some of the local Merrittians can opine.
    "From Covid to Hitler in 16 posts. Not today folks"

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell

Quakee Surpee Neekoo

Quote Originally Posted by weatherby_man View Post
    hmmmmm,,,maybe Midday Valley Rd? South out of Merritt towards Lily Lake. I'm just not sure about the property back there anymore whether its mostly private or what as I havent been for a number of years. Maybe some of the local Merrittians can opine.
    Thanks, Weatherby_man, I am hoping some local Merrittians might weigh in and offer up some hope.