Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Youth/ladies rifle -- recoil management. Thoughts?

Re: Youth/ladies rifle -- recoil management. Thoughts?

Do you or your Dad handload??

You can reduce recoil by A LOT by using H4895 with a 60% load

https://www.hodgdon.com/wp-content/u...ifle-loads.pdf

I used to load 120gn TTSXs with reduced loads in my daughter’s Remmy Mod seven compact in 7mm-08 when she was smaller. Major reduction in recoil

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Most of these synthetic stocks are hollow in the butt, or maybe foam filled, they also usually have a bunch of room in the barrel channel. You can use these empty spaces by adding a mixture of silicone and lead shot to add weight to the rifle. This can significantly reduce recoil. Along with a bunch of stuff allready mentioned on this thread such as lighter bullets and reduced recoil loads etc, you can get recoil down to the level of a 223.
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

All,

Thanks for the thoughtful replies. Plenty of wisdom in here, starting with the reality that the short length of pull on this rifle likely does not fit me. My dad commented that I looked uncomfortable over it and well, I did... I couldn't get comfortable with it and hence why I feel it hammered the hell outta me. I'm no expert, but my little guy has been practicing pulling the rifle to his shoulder and at 4' 11'', it passes my eyeball test of fitting him well so it's worth the investment of some tweaking.

I've decided for now to give it a year before my son hunkers down behind this rifle -- he can get an inch or two taller, 5-10lbs heaver and he can shoot my .17HMR in the mean time. I am going to upgrade the recoil pad to start with on his 7mm-08 and while I have the stock butt pad off, I'll see about adding some silicon and lead shot to beef it up a bit.

Misc:
    -We don't hand load at present although we have debated getting in to it - SSS, your recommendation is noted.
    -Willy, that's an excellent idea to add a little weight to the butt; I think this is part of the equation.
    -VLD43, thank you for the wisdom but it's too advanced for me; I don't know how to measure the butt's pitch and only know how to eyeball comfortable length of pull. The rifle is atleast 5 inches shorter for example than my Sako Finnlight 85 and sadly, neither are heavy enough to register on my digital scale at home but the Ruger is noticeably ligher than the Sako.

Here's a visual comparison of the 7mm-08 vs. my 30-06

https://imgur.com/a/YHMuW2U

Last edited by ActionJackson017; 11-18-2019 at 08:49 PM.

I’ve added lead shot or bullets mixed with epoxy into the butt pad.

And I’ve personally experienced the difference in powder of a fast burning powder vs a slow burning powder. This is probably the easiest thing to overcome felt recoil. Only problem is you sometimes don’t get the performance you’re looking for.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

I wouldn’t bother with a bolt on break. Waste of money to me.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

That's what I've heard too, Bustercluck. Can't disagree. I'm going to start with the recoil pad and adjust my seating position over the bench the next time I head to the range. Maybe I'll pick up a box of the 120 grain TTSX too to compare.

Cheers.

PS> Have to say disappointing how grainy that pic turned out.. sorry about that, I thought these new fan-dangled iPhones were the best, but to be honest, my Samsung's pics show way better on the computer monitor..

Ruger americans are great shooters for the money . It is however a fairly light rifle which will affect the felt recoil , a heavier rifle will actually reduce the felt recoil . I believe that hornady makes a reduced recoil load in 120 grn called the "Custom Lite" .

Quote Originally Posted by ActionJackson017 View Post
    upgrade the butt pad. Sims Airpad 10824 would be an easy upgrade but my go-to sites don't appear to carry.. (@todbartell, can I order in through you if you see this?)
    our Limbsaver supplier doesn't list this sorry

I would get some Hornady Custom Lite 120gr, it will recoil considerably less than most full house loads
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

It’s no secret I’m a fan of the venerable 6.5 x55 Swede,light recoil, superb accuaracy and the ballistic equivalent of a 270 after 100 yards .Ideal youth rifle .High sectional density bullets will handily take anything in North America. Tradeex generally has a great d selection for very reasonable prices, best value you can get for your money, ammunition readily available ( I use Privi Partisan , under $30 a box )
    Last edited by ratherbefishin; 11-27-2019 at 10:47 AM.