Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Youth/ladies rifle -- recoil management. Thoughts?

Youth/ladies rifle -- recoil management. Thoughts?

All,

Many threads to be read discussing HBC's most venerable topic of "which calible to buy", but after going through a dozen or so threads I couldn't find much on recoil management. To skip to the punch, grandpa settled on and acquired a 7mm-08 for my son and we spent a day at the range yesterday conditioning the barrel and sighting it in amongst other fun endeavors. It's the Ruger American Compact bolt-action with synthetic stock and matte black barrel. Hell of a little rifle and I was quickly shooting reasonable groups at 100 meters as we sighted it in and conditioned the barrel in short order.

Having said that, my quick observation on the rifle was my 75lb 11 y/o son would *not* be able to handle it's recoil until he's a little older/heavier. In fact, I will go so far as to say my 30-06 is more comfortable for me to shoot. It was spitting Hornady 139 grain interlocks down the range and this morning my shoulder feels distinctly abused lol.

Considerations I would like others thoughts on:
    -Easy place to start -- upgrade the butt pad. Sims Airpad 10824 would be an easy upgrade but my go-to sites don't appear to carry.. (@todbartell, can I order in through you if you see this?)
    -Install a muzzle brake. Seems overkill on a 7mm-08 and not sure I want to go this route. But.. 3 gill? clamp on?
    -Lighter load. Drop down to 120 grain?

Bottom line is my experience yesterday suggests in my mind my son is going to have to put on another 10-15lbs before he will be able to shoot this rifle well. What have others done for their youth and wives rifles?

Cheers.
    Last edited by ActionJackson017; 11-16-2019 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Forgot the *not*...

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Youth/ladies rifle -- recoil management. Thoughts?

Magna porting? Have a Smith throw a brake on it?
    Buy a good quality recoil pad, and a magnum pad for him to wear on his shoulder?
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Stick a good recoil pad on it would be my first suggestion and try a lighter bullet. 120gr would be a good deer bullet especially in a premium projectile like TTSX. Actually I’ve heard the 120gr TTSX is even a good elk round but I have no real world experience with that so you may want to do some more research.

Quote Originally Posted by ActionJackson017 View Post
    All,

Many threads to be read discussing HBC's most venerable topic of "which calible to buy", but after going through a dozen or so threads I couldn't find much on recoil management. To skip to the punch, grandpa settled on and acquired a 7mm-08 for my son and we spent a day at the range yesterday conditioning the barrel and sighting it in amongst other fun endeavors. It's the Ruger American Compact bolt-action with synthetic stock and matte black barrel. Hell of a little rifle and I was quickly shooting reasonable groups at 100 meters as we sighted it in and conditioned the barrel in short order.

Having said that, my quick observation on the rifle was my 75lb 11 y/o son would be able to handle it's recoil until he's a little older/heavier. In fact, I will go so far as to say my 30-06 is more comfortable for me to shoot. It was spitting Hornady 139 grain interlocks down the range and this morning my shoulder feels distinctly abused lol.

Considerations I would like others thoughts on:
    -Easy place to start -- upgrade the butt pad. Sims Airpad 10824 would be an easy upgrade but my go-to sites don't appear to carry.. (@todbartell, can I order in through you if you see this?)
    -Install a muzzle brake. Seems overkill on a 7mm-08 and not sure I want to go this route. But.. 3 gill? clamp on?
    -Lighter load. Drop down to 120 grain?

Bottom line is my experience yesterday suggests in my mind my son is going to have to put on another 10-15lbs before he will be able to shoot this rifle well. What have others done for their youth and wives rifles?

Cheers.
    Your questions and information provided leave out some key information. What is the length of pull on this rifle Vs the length of pull suited to your son. What is the pitch on the butt end of the rifle. what is the weight of the rifle. Chances are your son may require a shorter length of pull, at his age. Pitch can make a huge difference in felt recoil. A good pad like a kickeez pad can manage felt recoil well. A break will definitely reduce felt recoil, but if you haven't addressed proper gun fit first, you still have issues. I think the best advise would be to consult or better yet visit, a proficient gun smith and discuss gun fit and recoil reduction options. Lots of good info on the net about fitting firearms.

guest Guest

My Daughters are light wieghts...... They both shoot 3006. 180 gr.
    We had their rifles stocks shortened and quality recoil pads installed. They have no issue with these guns.....both 760 Rem. Pumps. Fit is HIGHLY important. The wife shoots .308 win. All of them shoot well and harvest Deer no issue. You can get reduced loads for 308 and 06. Just know the shooting limitations of them.

Dont waste money on breaks etc...... Proper fit, handling and practice are most important.

Good luck to you. Great to hear youth getting into it! They are our future.

Good recoil pad (length of pull adjusted) and you can purchase a shooting vest with interchangeable pads too.

Or https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/cabe...-for-men#close
    Last edited by Ride Red; 11-16-2019 at 12:55 PM.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Three physical components affect recoil - velocity of bullet, weight of bullet, weight of rifle.
    Good fit, good pad and lighter bullet at lower velocity will help.

Good stock fit dramatically affects felt recoil.

Anything in a Creedmore....obviously.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

My wife shoots a savage 7mm08 youth model, as she has short arms, and she loves it then my 10 1/2 year old just used it to shoot a moose in oct. it’s a good caliber with light recoil