Just came back from our annual MD hunt and it was a great weekend for my father and to also share the experience with
his granddaughter.
The years of construction work were not overly kind to my father physically, with both shoulders basically not having much if any of his rotator cuff muscles still attached and even biceps (long head) are detached.
A knee that points out at a 15 degree angle that should have been replaced years ago, but he refused and now the doctors refuse to do now, as well as a vein that is trapped in his knee that can be repaired either.
And on top of that, not too long ago, 2 stints put in last year right by his heart, and he is in the process of probably having a few more implanted soon as he once again has some major chest pains.
So, needless to say, my father was strongly considering not going, as he did not see a way to hunt, as he always hiked all day long in the past, but has been a challenge now for 10 years.
I told him he should come along, as a friend was bringing a truck he could use to get around in, and just sit and wait.
To be honest, I sometimes think my hiking all over the place looking for MD, still hunting all day long can have it's benefits but at times I think it isn't always the most effective way either.
Many a times I here that someone takes a buck just beside the road while driving around, and decent ones, while I am out bushwhacking.
Over the years, my dad has had opportunity to take bucks, but he always passed on them as they just weren't big enough to take as the effort to get them down to camp was not worth it.
So, he has gone quite a few years without harvesting one, with no regrets as he just likes to be "out there".

Also, we got a new addition to the family, a rescue dog that we took for the first time with us.
I doubt she had ever seen a pine tree and all the new smells were a little much for her senses at times.
Also, I did not think I had purchased another husky, but soon realized that this dog pulls just as hard and all day long
as dogs I had had in the past.
Well, needless to say, all this pulling and being out all day had its toll on my daughter.
I have to say she did a fantastic job keeping up with me while all the time having her hands full with the new dog.
But the friendship is one I think will last for years to come and we really are enjoying the new dog.