Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 81, and still gettin er done!

Re: 81, and still gettin er done!

What a great deer and better story. Their faces tell it all. Reminds me of the time my father got out for a last hunt before he passed. He was nodding off in the truck when my brother yells "there's a buck". My Dad wakes up and says my brother should take it but after a short argument he reluctantly got out, loaded his rifle and dropped the buck in its tracks (drilled it between the eyes). It was not a big deer but a real trophy in all of our eyes and the smile on Dad's face is a memory we will have forever.

Thanks for the kind words folks.
    Yes I will be looking at making it a wall hanger photo and appreciate the advice.

Ans yes, after being so reluctant in taking the buck, I am pretty sure he is feeling pretty good about taking the buck, but I also believe he
    is much more proud of the experience to be shared with his granddaughter.
    He was also very proud of how all the people involved, my friends (his friends as well!) giving him so much assistance and also congratulating
    him on his harvest at the time it happened and all shook his hand.

I know there are many on here that have lost their fathers (mentors) and can no longer share the experiences I still have, but I hope the post
    also helps "relive" some of those past experiences so many had with their fathers non the less.
    Always good to have a "reflection" from a story and I am glad it does that, even if the loss is still painful, there is a lot to also be thankful in
    memories we have all had with out parents and kids.
    To those that didn't have this opportunity, I feel for you folks, but take strength in knowing that partaking in a hunting lifestyle now, will allow
    you to share that with people in your future.
    You all still have a lot to give....and share.

Great story, great pictures. That's a lifetime memory.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

well done

this is classic........I got a reply only a son knows to "not say anything else"!.

Great pic for sure!!!!!!
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

LOVE this! These are memories that will be cherished forever. What an amazing family. Huge congratulations to all!

A family hunting together is so very special. Congratulations!!!

Awesome adventure and what a great picture of the deer team ...
    No animals were hurt in the making of this video...just cooked up good and tasty !

Fantastic story - thanks for sharing.
    I'll be 69 next month, who knows how long the body will last, I'd be more than elated if I'm hunting @ 81.
    Been lucky, both Son and Son In Law hunt ( Son in Law just recently ) and after a few days at the Range with 9 year old Grand Girl shooting Grandma's .22 she said "Grampa, next year can I go hunting grouse with you ??" This from a Girl who a couple of years ago said "Grampa, why do you have to kill everything?"
    Again, super story, super family to read about.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Glove View Post
    Fantastic story - thanks for sharing.
    I'll be 69 next month, who knows how long the body will last, I'd be more than elated if I'm hunting @ 81.
    Been lucky, both Son and Son In Law hunt ( Son in Law just recently ) and after a few days at the Range with 9 year old Grand Girl shooting Grandma's .22 she said "Grampa, next year can I go hunting grouse with you ??" This from a Girl who a couple of years ago said "Grampa, why do you have to kill everything?"
    Again, super story, super family to read about.
    My daughter has also been asked to do a "Presentation" at school on her hunting experience and the lifestyle.
    Being that we live in the heart of the city, she with a little help from me, is taking every advantage of it to explain the lifestyle to her peers.
    And much of that opportunity comes from her teacher who ironically is a Vegan, by choice, but recognizes other people have a right to choose
    and as all great teachers, allow kids to "learn"!
    The next day after taking the buck, she was already on her I-pad making up the presentation and getting it well underway.
    She is a great kid and I am definitely blessed when it has come to family.