Thread: Not boots,but orthotics..

Not boots,but orthotics..

The older I get(72),it seems the harder it is to get footware that I can walk in..When I was working,I only bought ‘Dacks’ leather dress shoes that I had factory rebuilt .Got the right size (10 1/2)try them on in the store,feels fine but walking any distance and my feet hurt.The low cut ‘hiker’ boots are better than lightweight sports shoes .Tried heavy socks, felt insoles and even several of the ‘off the shelf’ Orthotics insoles but nothing really helps for a comfortable ‘all day’ fit...any suggestions?
    Last edited by ratherbefishin; 11-14-2019 at 08:45 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Not boots,but orthotics..

Quote Originally Posted by ratherbefishin View Post
    The older I get(72),it seems the harder it is to get footware that I can walk in..When I was working,I only bought ‘Dacks’ leather dress shoes that I had factory rebuilt .Got the right size (10 1/2)try them on in the store,feels fine but walking any distance and my feet hurt.The low cut ‘hiker’ boots are better than lightweight sports shoes .Tried heavy socks, felt insoles and even several of the ‘off the shelf’ Orthotics insoles but nothing really helps for a comfortable ‘all day’ fit...any suggestions?
    Ratherbefishing. Great post as I’m sure many people have this issue . I have tried all sorts of orthotics,off the shelf,custom made etc. My last pair came from Kintec. Have not been completely satisfied with them but I think it’s because my feet are chainging quickly . I have always had narrow long flat feet , like skis . Probably wore poor fitting shoes my whole life .

The go to place to buy custom orthotics used to be Paris Orthotics in Vancouver ,don’t know about them now . Then there’s this place called Good Feet not sure if they are off the shelf or custom.

Now I have a hell of big bunnion on my left big toe and it gives me lots of grief . Need to see the doctor again to talk about surgery .
    So Iwould think custom orthotics would be the best bet . I heard there is a good podiatrist in New West that makes good orthotics but can’t remember his name ,will try and find out .
    Hope this helps
    Arctic Lake
    Last edited by Arctic Lake; 11-16-2019 at 10:26 AM.
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Thanks...got to do something,I try diferent shoes but that doesn’t
    seem to help much.I like walking but it’s not fun if my feet hurt .Sketchers low cut leather boots were pretty good,but I suspect anything made offshore they change manufacturers even if the brand name is the same
    Last edited by ratherbefishin; 11-14-2019 at 09:43 AM.

Well your age is certainly a factor. So I wouldn't expect any miracles.

I tried custom orthotics from Kintec and they were CRAP they adjusted them several times and my feet still hurt.

I then went with custom orthotics from a podiatrist and things have been great. My foot issues I had in 2017 have been resolved.

However they are $650 so unless you got a good health plan it might be out of reach for most. But I've been very happy with them.

You should find the boots you want then go get custom orthotics made to fit your foot, step and that boot. Don't take them out of that boot. I've do this for my work boots since I wear them 12 hours a day. I tell you though, after spending a week in my hunting boots without my orthotics, my knees really feel the difference in a negative way.
    Keep your feet happy and you keep your energy levels up for the hunting challenges ahead of you.
    Kintec made my orthotics.

Maple Ridge, Horse Lake but sometimes the dog house

Kintec Orthotics made mine. Developed Plantars Fasciitis from running. took me the better part of a year and a half before I could walk normally again. Orthotics and physiotherapy. Got 2 sets made, one for my daily shoes, another for my hikers. It's amazing, you can break your arm or your leg and be mostly rehabbed in 8 to 12 weeks but a $hitty tendon injury and it takes seemingly forever.
    Cody: It's a pretty cool sidearm you got there. What is it?
    Four Leaf Tayback: I don't know what it's called. I just know the sound it makes when it takes a man's life.

Marvin Boggs

Frank, I never thought I'd say this again. I'm getting the pig!
    Frank, we gotta get rid of this broad. I know a great place up the road. Lots of alligators.

Marvin: If there's one thing I know, it's women and covert operations.
    Frank: Marvin, that's two things.
    Han Cho Bai: No, grasshopper. It is not.

Welcome to the Old Farts Hunting Club. Try Paris Orthotics, on West Broadway west of Burrard. Parking underground. Parking is free, but orthotics are $550.

Glockenspiel

Been using custom orthotics for 25+ years. Got high arches and put weight on the outside of my feet, the opposite of flat feet. Resulted in soreness on inside of my ankles, and back of knee pain. Been getting them done by one of the physio's at 8 rinks in Burnaby. She measures everything up, will re-cast if needed, they get built at Paris Orthotics in Burnaby, and get them in a couple weeks.

Trick is, to understand what type of feet you have, then get the appropriate footwear that suits your feet, remove the insole and toss it away to ensure that the orthotics sit flat in the bottom of the shoe/boot. Been a prob for me to find the right footwear that doesn't already have a built-in arch support, which makes the orthotic sit on an angle. For me, I have to find a "neutral" type shoe or boot.

Really notice it if I don't wear them if on my feet for a few hours outside.
    Drinking rum before 10 a.m. does not mean you are an alcoholic, it means you are a pirate.