Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Help in determining hunting/living location

Re: Help in determining hunting/living location

Our province is a big place. Be prepared to drive.

I would suggest the centre of the province as a short 12 hour drive gets you to the northern border, south eastern corner, Pacific Ocean, or back to Saskatoba.

Burning a bit of diesel might piss Greta off, but will give you something to hunt 11 months of the year.

As a biologist the work opportunities will be best in the major regional centres. Williams lake, Prince George, Fort St John, Smithers, Cranbrook. They all have some good opportunities. I’d say that Fort St. John has has the best overall opportunity for wildlife close by as there are multiple species (elk, mule deer, moose, whitetail, stone sheep, goat and even bighorn sheep) close. There are great work opportunities there I can give you names to contact if you PM me.

However FSJ has certain charms that some love and others don’t. Being situated in the oil patch housing is a little more expensive than some of the other locations and it’s just a little different socially. For me, I’ll never regret the decision to move to Smithers from a community perspective but I have to admit I wish we had real deer hunting here (it’s marginal most deer are on private land). My choice of a community is influenced by what I do when not hunting. Smithers has great mountain biking and skiing of all sorts, so wins out from a multi interest perspective Cranbrook would have probably been my second choice. Sorry Williams lake and Prince George, great hunting (and biking) but I personally like mountains.....

^^^having lived and worked in all of these locations over the years (no am not a bio), I would say this is a good assessment. Pick where you want to live for 95% of the year based on the other things you like to do when not hunting, and travel to the areas you want to hunt. Consider what is important to wife/children if relevant...as the saying goes happy wife..happy life. Region 6 (Smithers/Terrace) is the better choice if you also want to spend time fishing the rivers for steelhead/salmon, but the communities are smaller. If mostly into hunting then the Peace Region would be the better choice. Prince George is central to it all as mentioned already and has good services and reasonable house prices and best opportunity for travel in any direction. A good employer and steady reliable work will be the most important....without that you can’t afford much of the other things including hunting. Good luck!
    Last edited by northof49; 11-21-2019 at 10:35 AM.

Thanks again everyone, I really do appreciate all the information that you are sharing! Sounds like the northern BC area may just be my next area of residency...

Quote Originally Posted by IslandWanderer View Post
    This is what I was thinking too. It seems a specific profession, and one where a person would be employed by the Province.
    An oxy moron
    Avatar is for all the conspiracy theory nut bars, for all the crow they have to eat when everything implodes

I've never heard of someone who isn't vaccinated getting polio

Trump will win big time in 2020

Why is it that rednecks from Alberta can't get enough of men in dresses, they simply lose their shit

All the suggestions on here have been great. I moved up to PG almost 3 years ago and didn't know what to expect.... the biking here is far better than my last home (okanagan) and the fishing is pretty incredible if you're after BIG bull trout. Little known secret about PG is the mountains are closer than you think.... You can day trip to the alpine, there are multiple cabins from different rec groups in the alpine that cost almost nothing to hike up and spend a night. If you ski tour there is a fairly large community for that and climbing as well. It's central to everything, has cheap real estate comparatively, amenities, good restaurants and pubs/breweries, costco. Anyway all the suggestions on here have been on point, your choice!

Atlin ..lol
    Quote Originally Posted by silu View Post
    hey all,
    hoping a few people would be able to help me determine a location in the province that offers “full package” hunting options. I’m looking at moving to bc for work (profession - wildlife biologist) and want to peruse some locations that offer a wide variety of hunting availability. If some of you could direct me to some of the hotspot or best locations within bc, it’d help me greatly with my decision!

Thanks in advance, you all rock!