Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Terrible tasting deer steak

Re: Terrible tasting deer steak

Quote Originally Posted by dodge456 View Post
    My dog is a 5 year old Doberman that we adopted in April, 100% positive he'd never had anything like that in his life up til now. I gave him a bone with a bit of meat on it from a deer while I was butchering this fall. He chewed it for hours then had the sh*ts for two days after that haha...so I don't think I'll be giving him any trim or fat at this point.
    Don’t feed dogs raw deer bones or meat they can catch canine tape worms or round worms. They show up as round bumps all over a deers liver . Harmless to people deadly to dogs. The deer pick it up from coyote or wolf scat by browsing close to the ground. Then they get preyed upon by preadators and the cycle starts all over.

Also the white cysts May or May not be visible in the deers liver.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauly View Post
    Don’t feed dogs raw deer bones or meat they can catch canine tape worms or round worms. They show up as round bumps all over a deers liver . Harmless to people deadly to dogs. The deer pick it up from coyote or wolf scat by browsing close to the ground. Then they get preyed upon by preadators and the cycle starts all over.
    Never heard of this.
    What if it’s been frozen for a couple weeks like Sashimi?
    He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..

Quote Originally Posted by Ohwildwon View Post
    Never heard of this.
    What if it’s been frozen for a couple weeks like Sashimi?
    Good question, I’m not to sure on that one. I’d guess they are tough parasites like trichinosis. Freezing doesn’t necessarily kill those either. I found out about the canine tape/round worm from a doe we shot. Liver was gross so sent a pic to local biologist. He gave me the run down on it, except for if freezing kills it

Quote Originally Posted by Dash View Post
    Hey all,

I hope everyone's season is going great so far!

I'm hoping to get some feedback/thoughts in regards to the deer steaks my husband and I had for dinner last night.

My husband's steak was phenomenal and the first few bites of mine was fantastic as well but on the next bite, my mouth was filled with that terrible musky/rutty/piss smell of a deer. I just about threw up. I instantly spat it onto my plate and the taste was still incredibly pungent. I actually washed my mouth out a few times and had to have a few sips of a drink to wash it out. It literally tasted like what a tarsal gland smells like. Needless to say, it ruined my dinner. At first my husband thought I was crazy. Admittedly, I have a tendency to over think these things and let them get into my head so I offered him my plate. He took a couple bites and said it was amazing then on the third, he spat it out. Same thing. We both love game but him especially. For him to taste the same thing confirmed I wasn't crazy.

This wasn't really a gamey taste, more of a gross rutting buck taste if that makes any sense at all? Between myself, my husband and my brother, we've consumed about 5 different deer in a few years hunting (we're still new) and have never come across this. My first buck a couple years ago was even mid-rut and super smelly and it tasted great. The buck that we ate last night was a young 2 point we harvested in early October this year. Not the least bit rutty and I had really high hopes for how he was going to taste. The worst part was that this was a back strap steak as well. Which is why the first few bites were so amazing.

How could the back strap of a young non-rutting buck get that taste? I'm really confused. Now, I'm generally pretty careful and clean when field dressing and this one was really no exception except that when we were finishing, I had slipped and stabbed myself deeply in the thigh (ouch). The next little bit was a bit of a gong show, between bandaging myself up, getting some help from some passing hunters to load the buck in our truck (priorities, right?) and getting to the hospital, I suppose I could have touched the meat with a dirty knife or something but I can't really wrap my head around it.

In regards to the meat, like I mentioned, it was a back strap streak and it was cooked (I know I'm going to get lambasted for this) medium well/well done. I know that game can taste poorly if over cooked and I'm trying very hard to convert myself to eating a better cooked steak. That being said, it has never happened before and it was fantastic tasting at first and my husband even agreed and he likes his steaks like a normal person haha. It was just those few bites. I've had some sausage and pepperoni from this deer as well and it's been great so far but I'm really paranoid about the ground and other steaks..

I'm really curious what others thoughts are on this?
    I had the same thing with a Mulie buck back in 1977, Had to throw out the whole animal because you couldn't even stand the smell of it cooking !!

I would think it was a shitty job if cleaning the animal. if some of it tasted good and some not good.

Fair points folks!

In regards to raw meat/bones for dogs, we feed our lab raw so he gets occasional deer scraps and bones. I've been taught by our breeder that it's best to freeze them for a minimum of 14 days first to be safe. What I've managed to read on the topic also aligns with this and he's been fine to date! Obviously things like bear meat are a different story though.

Transfer of external tainted gland smell to the inside untainted meat during field dressing and care, plain and simple
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

Cows are quite tasty

Was there any silver skin at all left on it?