Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Terrible tasting deer steak

Re: Terrible tasting deer steak

Trim all fat .
    wonder what’s over the next hill?

Sounds like contamination for sure.

Have to be so conscientious field dressing, skinning game.

The first thing I do is cut the back lower legs off at the knee and chuck them, then wash or rinse your hands and knife etc.

That way the Tarsal Gland is removed from the equation right away? Yes and no.

I assume the gland has been rubbed on the inside of the leg for sure.

Hell, I've seen Deer scratch behind there ear with there hind foot.

So one could assume the hide would be contaminated with it, (Tarsal Gland) at multiple points.

When skinning an ungulate, I bring at least a few pair of nitrite gloves with me. They are a lot stronger then latex.

Once you get the hide off, start fresh with a new pair, should be good to go.
    He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..

1.how long did it sit after it was shot.?
    2.where was it shot?
    even with a good hit there can been green in the cavity this will cook chops quick.
    3.if you rushed off was the piss bladder still in there did it get severed?
    4.how long and what temps was the hide on.
    5.internal glands will have little to no effect.
    6.was it your chop you got back busy season is october even the best butchers have to hire temporary staff...
    7.if it was just one steak so far was your deer hung to close to a dirty deer?
    i have seen some really dirty deer brought into shops..
    havent had any gamey meat since we decided to cut ourselves no matter whats going on.

Something to learn here from some very smart people, i'll remember this stuff when I finnaly get there, hope the rest of your meat is better Dash.

I concur with the internal gland theory. I have had the gland in the ham taint some ground before. Completely unpalatable.

cooked back straps from a cow elk one time( killed the night before then left over night.) and they were the most gamey, worst tasting elk steak I’ve ever had. After hanging for 8 days the rest of the elk was great.
    The cow was left whole with the hide on and I put logs under her to allow air to circulate.

I always get the hide off as soon as I get the animal home, unless being packed out aways then it’s removed in the bush. I used to butcher within 3-4days of harvest but now I let my animble hang as long as possible. I’ll hang them 8-12 days in a meat cooler and up to 8 days in my garage if the weather permits. I personally find the longer I hang animals the less the meat tastes gamey.

I'd lean towards something happening while cleaning it, I've shot a couple swollen up stinky bucks and they still tasted good, I get the glands off right away and then use a different knife for the rest of the job to help avoid any contamination.

I've shot and eaten quite a few deer and honestly never had that issue... get the hide off right away, and the the front legs above the knee right away, the hind lags below the tendon right away...how much of this deer have you eaten before this occurance? Like others have said, maybe some of your meat was accidentally swapped at the butchers?

Quote Originally Posted by dougan View Post
    Trim all fat .
    Fully agree with you and Gun Dog.
    Had a similar experience many years ago when the buck deer steak was good except for the little bit of side fat. It was so bad I had to immediately spit it out & clean my mouth.
    The fat was tough & tasted rancid. At other times it was edible in very small quantities.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

^^^That is one point I forgot to bring up...not only can it taste bad, but the texture is horrible, and how it sticks to the roof of mouth...I agree that that is one of the most important aspects to butchering deer..