Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Terrible tasting deer steak

Re: Terrible tasting deer steak

Yes it is best to butcher it yourself. That way no other meat is mixed in with yours. Lots of videos and books showing how. Goat and sheep butchering books and videos are very close to deer butchering. Buy a grinder and a sausage stuffer and watch sausage stuffing vids and read some of the sausage recipes and enjoy. Then you get a smoke house and and and!
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Quote Originally Posted by tigrr View Post
    Yes it is best to butcher it yourself. That way no other meat is mixed in with yours. Lots of videos and books showing how. Goat and sheep butchering books and videos are very close to deer butchering. Buy a grinder and a sausage stuffer and watch sausage stuffing vids and read some of the sausage recipes and enjoy. Then you get a smoke house and and and!
    Haha oh the rabbit hole... I have been doing some reading the last couple of days actually! Almost had a line on a smoker this year too but that fell through. In regards to a grinder, obviously I should invest in a good quality electric grinder eventually but for this year, do you think one of those cheap manual grinders would do? How much of a pain do you think it would be for a deer?

for a small deer I have used a little moulinex (1/4 hp iirc) grinder and as long as you clean out the sinew frequently and not force it, it worked fine enough

Deer steak, stew meat, stir fry, ribs and the odd roast if I feel like it. Nothing but a knife and a bone saw is needed and it really does not take long.

You don’t need much to butcher a deer if you keep it simple

Generally I really enjoy deer meat, even the fat! However I did have one Mule buck that was so rank (very heavy rut) even the dog would turn his nose up and not eat it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dash View Post
    Haha oh the rabbit hole... I have been doing some reading the last couple of days actually! Almost had a line on a smoker this year too but that fell through. In regards to a grinder, obviously I should invest in a good quality electric grinder eventually but for this year, do you think one of those cheap manual grinders would do? How much of a pain do you think it would be for a deer?
    I'll find which sunmile electric meat grinder I bought. It was the highest rated for $100 electric grinders. amazon.ca
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Did your husband use the same knife to skin the tarsal glands off the hind legs and then skin the deer with that same knife? Did he touch the tarsal glands with his hands then touch the skinned buck?
    both things can spread that musky stinky buck smell all over the meat and ruin it.
    WSSBC Life Member
    WSSBC Monarch Member
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by dodge456 View Post
    Absolutely agree with this. Deer fat is one of the most horrid things I've tasted. I once had jerky done at a butcher and there were bits of fat attached, even that was putrid. On a steak without being cured its much worse. I butcher my own now and do not leave a stitch of fat anywhere at all on the meat when I'm cutting. I'd take a look at that next time, before you cook it check for bits of fat and trim it off.

Hmmm, I keep the best 70% of the trim for the dog.

The smell frying it up is, hold your nose! That gamey dear smell, yuk

Oh well, Dash gobbles it up like Caviar
    He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..

Quote Originally Posted by Ohwildwon View Post
    Hmmm, I keep the best 70% of the trim for the dog.

The smell frying it up is, hold your nose! That gamey dear smell, yuk

Oh well, Dash gobbles it up like Caviar
    My dog is a 5 year old Doberman that we adopted in April, 100% positive he'd never had anything like that in his life up til now. I gave him a bone with a bit of meat on it from a deer while I was butchering this fall. He chewed it for hours then had the sh*ts for two days after that haha...so I don't think I'll be giving him any trim or fat at this point.

Had one bad shot on a doe, totally unprepared, long story short... had a odor that only i caught, had deer processed, butcher(personal friend) said it was fine, everyone who at it said it was great, id get a whiff and mu stomach would heave, even the sausages. Only animal i ever had that with...
    that being said a small strip of fat could easily produce the gamey flavor