Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Terrible tasting deer steak

Re: Terrible tasting deer steak

Well I'm super sad to report that we just cooked up a pack of ground last night that had the same issue (We've had other packs of it that have been good so far) I could smell it right away but decided to just spice the crap out of it and cook it anyway. It didn't matter and it was completely unpalatable. Even made that side of the house stink like it... It smelled exactly like that deer steak tasted. I'm pretty bummed about it.. I feel awful for having to throw away meat we've harvested and I feel like a total f*ck up for causing it, if I did. Regardless, I've been watching countless videos and I'm definitely going to butcher my own next time. I'm hoping to still get out a couple times yet.. The good news is that so far we haven't encountered it with the pepperoni or garlic sausage we've had but I'm worried it's only a matter of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dash View Post
    Well I'm super sad to report that we just cooked up a pack of ground last night that had the same issue (We've had other packs of it that have been good so far) I could smell it right away but decided to just spice the crap out of it and cook it anyway. It didn't matter and it was completely unpalatable. Even made that side of the house stink like it... It smelled exactly like that deer steak tasted. I'm pretty bummed about it.. I feel awful for having to throw away meat we've harvested and I feel like a total f*ck up for causing it, if I did. Regardless, I've been watching countless videos and I'm definitely going to butcher my own next time. I'm hoping to still get out a couple times yet.. The good news is that so far we haven't encountered it with the pepperoni or garlic sausage we've had but I'm worried it's only a matter of time.
    I’m still betting it fat. Freezer will amplify it.
    Trim trim trim . You won’t ever regret trimming your own game.
    wonder what’s over the next hill?

Deer fat is generally not good,cut it all off .I do my own butchering and it’s not hard.Picked up a 3/4 hp Kitchener meat grinder from princess auto on sale for about $160 and it works just fine.When doing ground meat ,I add beef or pork fat from the market.I figure butchering is part of the experience ,I cut ,my wife wraps.She even did it when we were first married and she was pregnant,over 47 years ago, a good woman
    Last edited by ratherbefishin; 11-28-2019 at 04:51 PM.

Hmmm . I’m not so sure that silver skin would be the cause of bad taste . Silver skin is just heavy connective tissue that keeps different muscle groups separate and enables said muscle groups to slide with each other. Leaving it on would contribute to the meat being harder to chew that is why it is generally removed and with domestic meats mixed in with trimmings and ground .
    Arctic Lake
    Last edited by Arctic Lake; 11-28-2019 at 04:50 PM.
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

There are some well pardon the pun “ seasoned hunters “ on here that would know what the cause is due to their own experiences . I have some ideas based on my experience with domestic meat . It could be how the animal was harvested ie. Did it die quickly ? Was the death prolonged ? I would imagine if the shot was not leathel the whole animals chemistry could be affected . When field dressed was the gall punctured and the residue don’t removed,what about a bladder puncture and not rinsed off .I do know that when processing hogs that were castrated late in life and were used for stud prior could be real rank in smell when the flesh is heated . No I never ate one but..... I have eaten a hog that had one testical that had not dropped and missed in castration and it was real pissy tasting ! A hog that is slaughtered like that is termed a Ridgling . With beef if the animal is overly stressed before slaughter it can result in what is called a fired beef , too much too write you could look it up .
    Arctic Lake
    Last edited by Arctic Lake; 11-28-2019 at 05:07 PM.
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Due to Eve's health issues I didn't go hunting this season but LT went & the group was successful in harvesting a couple good size mule deer bucks in our regular area(Gang-Big Creek)
    The fat was totally trimmed & LT told me that the meat was delicious (phoned last night)

So remember to cut off & dispose all the visible fat & clean the knife before cutting the meat.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by dougan View Post
    I’m still betting it fat. Freezer will amplify it.
    Trim trim trim . You won’t ever regret trimming your own game.
    X2 .... many people leave a "trim pile" for grinding that has waaaaaaaaaaaay too much gross deer fat on it.

Ground venison is one of my favorite ways to enjoy it and we make sure there is zero fat going into even the grind pile

Tracy, don’t beat yourself up over it— it happens. I’ve had a few fish ducks that were not edible.

It may or may not have been something you did or it may be something totally outside your control.

Next year’s deer will make up for it, I’m sure.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Take it all in and have it made into sausage.

Quote Originally Posted by 338win mag View Post
    Take it all in and have it made into sausage.
    Read post 61. He said the burger was not edible. Sausage would suffer the same fate I would think. How about you?