Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: thick timber - how quiet are you?

Re: thick timber - how quiet are you?

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    that's not even thick timber. Can't you read?

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Dana has always advocated that making some noise is better, as trying to be too silent might make you seem like an obvious predator .... that's why i'm curious to hear from those who adopt that tactic successfully to get more tips from them.
    That was for MD if I remember correct he changes his tactic when still hunting WT. I know a few guys who agree with noise for MD. WT and BT are where my effort has been most and they are definitely different then MD when still hunting

Blacktail are definitely different in my opinion and found they will stay ahead of you or hide until they had enough then bolt. But if you keep your noise to deer level and add a kmeer deer or deer talker (might be deer stopper stupid rubber band call) blacktail will hang around to see what you are or come to you

This what works for me anyway

As quiet as I can be when hunting in thick timber!
    When alone I usually have one in the chamber in my GG & ready to shoot asap.
    From my experience when shooting the deer/moose before it's aware of your presence it drops immediately with a well placed shot.When full of adrenaline it may run a long distance even with a heart shot.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

that's not even thick timber. Can't you read?
    It gets thick like your mama
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    It gets thick like your mama
    couldn't possibly be THAT thick.

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Quote Originally Posted by ghost View Post
    Even when we are quiet I suspect we still are noisy. I go as quiet as possible but don’t sweat it to much when I step on a branch. One thing I do and I don’t know if it does any thing is I wear a full face balaclava. I quite often have state downs with does and bucks.
    One of the most overlooked or not thought of parts of still hunting, especially in relatively close quarters,
    is a person's white face and hands. Think about it...what's often the first thing you see when spotting a
    deer in bush...it's their white rump, tail, or white muzzle. Add their incredibly good eyesight to that.
    Many use camo to break up their image yet they forget that big lightbulb of a white face and moving hands.

couldn't possibly be THAT thick.
    hah. Thick timber, I drive right by that shit
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Big Lew View Post
    One of the most overlooked or not thought of parts of still hunting, especially in relatively close quarters,
    is a person's white face and hands. Think about it...what's often the first thing you see when spotting a
    deer in bush...it's their white rump, tail, or white muzzle. Add their incredibly good eyesight to that.
    Many use camo to break up their image yet they forget that big lightbulb of a white face and moving hands.
    balaclava is a great idea when it's typical mule deer hunting in November at -10.
    These fricken lower mainland blacktails are t-shirt weather even in November this year. If i wore a balaclava i'd get heat stroke. LOL.

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

balaclava is a great idea when it's typical mule deer hunting in November at -10.
    These fricken lower mainland blacktails are t-shirt weather even in November this year. If i wore a balaclava i'd get heat stroke. LOL.
    It's messy, but the camo paint a lot of bow hunters use works very well.

I don’t purposely hunt thick timber but when I have to move through it I don’t even try to mask my sound. Often I will make a whua whua bull moose sound. I have bumped many curious animals that way.