Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: thick timber - how quiet are you?

Re: thick timber - how quiet are you?

Youd be very disappointed in reg 2 hunting, then. Lol.

I've spent 10 hrs hunting a steep mountain side that cant be more than 1km squared and not seen an animal all day ... and done that numerous times.

Quote Originally Posted by Treed View Post
    My pack drives me nuts when branches rub on it. I wish I could find a fleece pack cover. Might have to make one. Anyone ever try using cattle calls when hunting in an area where cattle are common. Of course they aren’t there when I hunt those areas!
    I've been talking about a fleece backpack for years, been talking about making one/convincing the gf to bust out the sewing machine...but doubtful that will materialize lol

I see sitka has started making a fleece backpack this year, the fanatic pack, looks well designed, no clips, but its also $280 CAD

https://www.sitkagear.com/products/f...ck/elevated-ii
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post

I've spent 10 hrs hunting a steep mountain side that cant be more than 1km squared and not seen an animal all day ... and done that numerous times.
    All depends on where you hunt in region 2. But I also abandoned hunting the Mt blacktails for the exact reason you mentioned. Odds are you know MT BT better then I do

There is no doubt a lot of tough hunting in region 2 but also some really good hunting too

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post

I have lived in region 2 for my whole life.....learned a long time ago to go further out to enjoy the quiet.....worse part was moving from Aldergrove to south Surrey, day hunts suddenly gained two hours!

Still hunt a fair bit in region 2 though!

I’m quiet when I can be, the forest was so dry and noisy this year that I found it more profitable to hike then sit for a spell, then hike again. Sometimes it’s just dependent on whatever the conditions are or where you are. Waist high salaries, forget about it. Mossy bluffs, how can you make noise? Rain is good for quiet. The one good wet day I was out I accidentally still hunted into a little doe. I practically could have reached out and grabbed her... didn’t have a clue I was there until the wind vaguely curled around.

I call it "sneak hunting" and I have shot my best bucks at extremely close range doing so, Mule deer and Whitetails, I hunt them the same in "thick timbered" area's. Its classic hunting when there is a slight to moderate breeze in your face.
    If its really still with no breeze then sometimes you can hear them walking around in the snow or crunching leaves etc

I notice if I'm out for several days it takes a couple days to unwind from lifes bs to really relax enough to aquire the patients for such a hunting style.

Never hunted BT but love still hunting WT...I find i can go quiet enough if the wind is right, otherwise it seems the wind not only carries the scent but the noise to them, all my success still hunting WT has been only when the wind is right...

Running Shoes and or HD Wool socks over them ! RJ

Just keep your honda under 2000rpm and don't be cracking open cans like the dressing room. (mule deer).

On still dry or frozen days where every leaf crunches as I walk I target areas that have motorcycle/bike trails that have had the leaves ridden on.

Yes this limits me to specific areas that are not my first choice to hunt but doing this has been good to me over the years mind you if I was smart I'd just go fishing instead and wait for rain...

Yes I shoot more blacktail when its raining then any other time like this morning I was sitting quietly on a well used game trail when this spike came along yes he is still out there roaming free just can't bring myself to shoot a spike.

I was sneaking along a motorcycle trail in the heavy rain when I spotted this old blacktail Oct 21/19.

I bought this T/C Contender carbine in 7-30 Waters off of a fellow here on Hunting BC I believe he lived on Van Is this is the first deer I ever shot with it my load is 139gr SST's @ 2500fps.

Funniest post I have ever read...

Originally Posted by troutseeker
    I rotate 1/2 tp 5/8 of a turn, and I do so in both directions. that is due to my press being mounted in th middle of my bench nad my beer being on hte right side nad my cigar being on hte left side. Thus I rotate each way ot take a sip or a puff.

I have not noticed significant runout, mind you,after a few brews I lose interest in measuring...