Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In case you all forgot it's still hunting season... (With some Pictures)

In case you all forgot it's still hunting season... (With some Pictures)

It's hard to get a handle on what's going on in most of the interior. Some guys are having luck, others report full on doom and gloom. I don't know about most of the interior, only the spot we've been going to for 13 years from Nov 1 to 10 and this year was our most successful year. We've had years where we've seen way more deer, and got nothing. This year we saw decent numbers of bucks and perhaps and alarmingly low number of does. Less than usual for sure. We always see decent deer numbers so this isn't a "sky is falling" post but certainly thinking about being concerned. Are they hiding better, or are they simply not there? I can't answer that right now, I don't know. Hopefully things are still decent next year.

I saw numerous and ever increasing in size three points, including a large mature 3 with big back breaks and 2 to 3 inch brows, but no front breaks. Took me until the 10th to finally find a four point. Always annoying when the legal buck is not the biggest one you saw. My dad and our hunting partner both got their biggest bucks to date on this trip as well. Dad's was a, somewhat grueling, 6 hour pack out. It was 254lbs field dressed. My buck was shot in the same location, but much smaller (174lbs), and we got it out in just under 3 hours. Better luck away from the roads for sure.

Mine

Dads

Buddies

2. Site Sponsor

Re: In case you all forgot it's still hunting season... (With some Pictures)

Nice BUCK's ! Good on you GUY's working HARD for your meat ! RJ

3 four points in ten days for 3 guys sounds like some of the best hunting around to me.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Those are some real nice 4 points, good on you guys.

Cool story! Great photos, thanks for sharing

Fantastic harvests. I tip my hat to you, 6 hours to haul a deer out is total commitment.

Great post! Nice to see a successful trip report, especially with a bit of suffering on the pack out thrown in for good measure.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

I have to agree with you that it is confusing with all the conflicting reports. I just spent a few days up in my usual spot and I felt like there were more deer than normal. I usually hunt around the same time every year. One of the 4 days I hunted I saw 7 bucks so I don't really get the doom and gloom posts either. Ended up harvesting a giant on day 4. Saw a legal 4 point which I gave a free pass on the 2nd day. We need some proper winter range Ariel counts to find some solid numbers for us to work with.

great post thanks for sharing awesome bucks.

Im pretty sure i watched u guys get your dads buck through my spotting scope lol nice buck