Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting the Creston Valley Wildlife Management Area

Hunting the Creston Valley Wildlife Management Area

Not sure if it's a faux pas to ask about spots, but...

Anyone care to share tips about hunting whitetail deer in the Creston Valley Wildlife Management Area? I focused on the edge habitats in the Six Mile Slough last visit and might like to go Leach Lake to check it out. Last time, we saw some deer and elk out in the grassy margins of the ponds. Any thoughts? I am a new hunter and any advice is appreciated. For those who don't know the area, these are both riparian areas- open fields and thick cottonwood forests in some proximity to agriculture. Not sure about how pressured deer are here, but waterfowl hunting is popular.

Six Mile Slough

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zR...XqAZsJECa2moF1

Leach Lake

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zR...XqAZsJECa2moF1

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting the Creston Valley Wildlife Management Area

My two favourite sayings for everyone asking for spots.

two feet and a heart beat and anywhere anytime.
    think, if you were an experienced hunter in that area and someone who’s put in little effort simply asks you where to go to shoot a whitetail, how are you going to respond to that ? Put your self in other peoples shoes.

im sure some overly nice member will be along to give you the information you desire but just keep in mind how much more success you’ll have in the following years if you take the time to learn an area yourself, that first hand knowledge is invaluable to filling tags each year and not sporadically.

I am a new hunter, working on my own. I ask questions here because I lack real-world mentors and not because I don't work for my learning.

Get out, look for sign. Either droppings or tracks will help you pinpoint a good area. Sometimes it takes a bit to learn an area but just keep working on it and you will figure it out.

Whitetails, find shines fresh shit, sit concealed near active trails, or lean on a tree, wait, watch, see them first. If you still hunt, you must spot squirrels etc, if not go slower, hunt into or across the wind. Rut is at early onset, peaking approximately 18th or so.
    Find fresh rubs, flollow does from distance.
    Sit near fresh shit, near active trails, buck rubs nearby.
    Repeat as required.
    Blacktailaholic

^^^^what he said....to the OP: I too started from scratch, had no one to teach me anything as I had no family or friends that hunted when I started...get those boots on and put on miles, you'll learn the most that way..

ryoTHC The new hunter was asking for ADVICE not your honey hole, you would do good to learn to read!!!

I have nothing constructive to add, sorry. But RyoTHC didn't I see a thread recently that you started asking for some advice (and literally honey holes?). While you are not wrong with regards to getting out there you make it sound like you would never dare ask for advice yourself and no one else should either.

Quote Originally Posted by m5wilson View Post
    I have nothing constructive to add, sorry. But RyoTHC didn't I see a thread recently that you started asking for some advice (and literally honey holes?). While you are not wrong with regards to getting out there you make it sound like you would never dare ask for advice yourself and no one else should either.

Hmm. 1K posts, contributed and helped other members fill tags vs brand new member.
    anyways, there’s a reason the experienced hunters quit coming here, I feel like I’ll be joining them soon and I’m a noob.

If a member wants to show some effort then ask for help that’s fine, if you guys don’t like the fact that I’m not going to spoon feed every new member that just signs up TOO BAD.

I filled 9 tags myself in my first three seasons without ever asking for help, and then in the third year of helping people I ask for advice once, and I get compared to someone who’s contributed nothing?

You two old farts just made it so I’ll never help anyone again, and I certainly won’t be asking this forum anything.

Quote Originally Posted by MOOSE MILK View Post
    ryoTHC The new hunter was asking for ADVICE not your honey hole, you would do good to learn to read!!!
    my statement stands.

new hunters will do better to get o of their truck and put in the hard work THEMSELVES.
    it’s not a coincidence that I’m a new hunter and outhunt a lot of the loud mouth veterans on here.. because I learned myself. Because I put the hard work in.

but thanks for the concern, I know how to read.
    anyone else want some handouts !?