Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Moose numbers Sweden vs BC

Re: Moose numbers Sweden vs BC

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    Outfitters to 5%, well where I live they get 25% of the AAH of bull moose, I've been lucky enough to win a bull moose LEH exactly once in the last 24 years, so I'm thinking it would be fair to cut the non resident hunters share down [at least around here] until the population recovered...then they could have more, until then BC residents should have more priority without cutting the guides out completely.
    HappyJack....explain to me how the transfer of allocation share makes more moose.

Originally Posted by HappyJack
    Outfitters to 5%, well where I live they get 25% of the AAH of bull moose, I've been lucky enough to win a bull moose LEH exactly once in the last 24 years, so I'm thinking it would be fair to cut the non resident hunters share down [at least around here] until the population recovered...then they could have more, until then BC residents should have more priority without cutting the guides out completely.

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    HappyJack....explain to me how the transfer of allocation share makes more moose.
    Happy jack
    reducing allocation for outfitters would not be of any benefit to wildlife. It simply would reduce another group who supports our way of life to a point that they wouldn’t exist on the landscape . Some might think this would be good, but really. Let’s add up the dollars put towards wildlife in this province and see where a large percentage of it comes from? If you do Some research you will see hundreds of thousands of dollars a year donated by outfitters. We do have groups in bc like wild sheep society that are also heavily investing, however other than that not much comes from residents. I get the frustration over leh, however the solution is there. Ie Gorley report, we just need pressure put on politicians to implement them. Fighting with people who enjoy and support our way of life ( similar to the crossbow thread) simply pushes us to zero faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Deaddog View Post
    Originally Posted by HappyJack

Happy jack
    reducing allocation for outfitters would not be of any benefit to wildlife. It simply would reduce another group who supports our way of life to a point that they wouldn’t exist on the landscape . Some might think this would be good, but really. Let’s add up the dollars put towards wildlife in this province and see where a large percentage of it comes from? If you do Some research you will see hundreds of thousands of dollars a year donated by outfitters. We do have groups in bc like wild sheep society that are also heavily investing, however other than that not much comes from residents. I get the frustration over leh, however the solution is there. Ie Gorley report, we just need pressure put on politicians to implement them. Fighting with people who enjoy and support our way of life ( similar to the crossbow thread) simply pushes us to zero faster.
    Alot of money comes from residents, its directed elsewhere, we know that.

Yup. We pay in taxes , tags etc. Politicians spend it elsewhere as res don’t have a credible org to advocate for hunters/wildlife. Point still being is wildlife needs all the dollars it can get
    Last edited by Deaddog; 11-25-2019 at 08:24 AM.

Too many cow moose getting killed in BC... because of certain groups.

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    It makes more moose tags available for RESIDENT HUNTERS, part of what I said was to have tags assigned/sold by MU...which means tighter controls over RESIDENT HUNTERS, in order to make that palatable we should also level out the imbalance in the allocations. I would suspect it would actually help the moose population because RESIDENT HUNTERS aren't professionals and the success rates would be lower.

Quote Originally Posted by Fennemonster View Post
    Too many cow moose getting killed in BC... because of certain groups.
    Trains, wolves, bears, coyotes, cougars....and the odd poacher.

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Quote Originally Posted by 2chodi View Post
    I've heard that largest contributor to the high density of moose in Sweden is "moose friendly silviculture practices." I've read that the forest industry in Sweden is complaining because they are having trouble growing trees because of the numbers of moose.

Fewer predators and competing species also helps.
    You just wait, CAFOR now has ties to Swedan, hello Glyphosate, good bye moose habitat! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    It makes more moose tags available for RESIDENT HUNTERS, part of what I said was to have tags assigned/sold by MU...which means tighter controls over RESIDENT HUNTERS, in order to make that palatable we should also level out the imbalance in the allocations. I would suspect it would actually help the moose population because RESIDENT HUNTERS aren't professionals and the success rates would be lower.
    moose numbers as well as ungulates of other species have declined in areas where there are no active outfitters as well as full closures. Given that it isn’t nor has it ever been that harvest rates from legal harvests negatively impact the overall populations. Going back to fighting over a diminishing population only plays into the hands of antis and bureaucrats, keeping the focus away from the actual scientific drivers that dictate wildlife populations. Many outfitters in the province, are long standing resident family’s. Spend some time getting to know a few of them and you will find that you and them will agree on most of the solutions to wildlife pop challenges

Quote Originally Posted by Deaddog View Post
    moose numbers as well as ungulates of other species have declined in areas where there are no active outfitters as well as full closures. Given that it isn’t nor has it ever been that harvest rates from legal harvests negatively impact the overall populations. Going back to fighting over a diminishing population only plays into the hands of antis and bureaucrats, keeping the focus away from the actual scientific drivers that dictate wildlife populations. Many outfitters in the province, are long standing resident family’s. Spend some time getting to know a few of them and you will find that you and them will agree on most of the solutions to wildlife pop challenges
    Very well said!
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever