Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Moose numbers Sweden vs BC

Re: Moose numbers Sweden vs BC

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter gatherer View Post
    We have idiots running our province and country
    YUP and soon to to have the Natives looking after F&W in BC its COMING ! RJ

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Habitat use is different in Sweden. When's the last time you have heard of progressive clear cuts that span 100-10,000's of hectares? How about broadcast applications of pesticides? How about road access for resource extraction? Similar boreal, and sub boreal ecosystems, different use of the landscape! Not to mention the other stuff! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

I think its fair to say bc is no where close to reaching its maximum potential for game numbers. Can you imagine what it could be like if everyone had a common goal?

Quote Originally Posted by wos View Post
    I think its fair to say bc is no where close to reaching its maximum potential for game numbers. Can you imagine what it could be like if everyone had a common goal?
    Yes we still have LOTs of GREAT Habitat left yet and LOT's to grow up in the next 20 years too ! jmo RJ

I think Greta saved them all
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Red View Post
    I think Greta saved them all
    well that made me laugh. good one.Steve!

If you really want to understand the difference between Sweden and BC Moose population, you simply have to Google the topic.
    Sweden has local management, highly managed forests, low predation, highly managed hunting, much of the harvest is calves, good winter survival rates, a hunters pay way more for their opportunity.
    Does BC have any of these? Not really.

Yep,,,but at least 2things are way better here...we have way more grown land here..free hunting areas,,sweden mostly private land..another is hunting cost,,,way cheaper here..I'm talking about licensing..if ya dont own a land...hunting opportuning might be limited.

Quote Originally Posted by webley View Post
    well that made me laugh. good one.Steve!
    What he said... well played.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

I found this:

https://www.thelocal.se/20180608/swe...lf-hunt-banned

8 June 2018

There will be no licensed wolf hunt in Sweden this winter, after the Environmental Protection Agency said it could not take place due to dwindling numbers of wild wolves.
    The Swedish Hunting Association (Svenska Jägareförbundet) has criticized the ban, and said that stopping the legal wolf hunt will just lead to an increase in illegal killing of the animals.

The wolf population in Sweden has fallen during the past three years, with just 305 of the predators left in the wild, according to the latest figures. In 2016, the country's Supreme Administrative Court ruled that there must be at least 300 wolves in the country for conservation of the species.

However, despite the ban on the licensed hunt, a 'protective' hunt can still go ahead if county administrative boards deem it necessary, for example in order to protect farm animals from attacks.

"When we have as few wolves as we have, there's no scope for a licensed hunt," said Marcus Öhman from the Environmental Protection Agency. "The population has fallen over the past three years -- by 14 percent in the past year alone. We see a strong downward trend, and that's very worrying."

---------------------

and BC

"The wolf population in B.C. is stable to increasing. Grey wolves are not an endangered or threatened species. The estimated median population of wolves is 8,500."

So it's estimated BC has about x28 times the total amount of wolves compared to Sweden while only having about x2 times the land mass.
    Last edited by Sirloin; 11-10-2019 at 11:26 AM.