Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Moose numbers Sweden vs BC

Re: Moose numbers Sweden vs BC

Quote Originally Posted by Sirloin View Post
    I found this:

https://www.thelocal.se/20180608/swe...lf-hunt-banned

8 June 2018

There will be no licensed wolf hunt in Sweden this winter, after the Environmental Protection Agency said it could not take place due to dwindling numbers of wild wolves.
    The Swedish Hunting Association (Svenska Jägareförbundet) has criticized the ban, and said that stopping the legal wolf hunt will just lead to an increase in illegal killing of the animals.

The wolf population in Sweden has fallen during the past three years, with just 305 of the predators left in the wild, according to the latest figures. In 2016, the country's Supreme Administrative Court ruled that there must be at least 300 wolves in the country for conservation of the species.

However, despite the ban on the licensed hunt, a 'protective' hunt can still go ahead if county administrative boards deem it necessary, for example in order to protect farm animals from attacks.

"When we have as few wolves as we have, there's no scope for a licensed hunt," said Marcus Öhman from the Environmental Protection Agency. "The population has fallen over the past three years -- by 14 percent in the past year alone. We see a strong downward trend, and that's very worrying."

---------------------

and BC

"The wolf population in B.C. is stable to increasing. Grey wolves are not an endangered or threatened species. The estimated median population of wolves is 8,500."

So it's estimated BC has about x28 times the total amount of wolves compared to Sweden while only having about x2 times the land mass.
    Id be willing to bet there are over 300 wolves in a 100km radius of my house.... probably 50km lol

Quote Originally Posted by wos View Post
    I think its fair to say bc is no where close to reaching its maximum potential for game numbers. Can you imagine what it could be like if everyone had a common goal?
    Exactly. Listen to biologist Valerius Geist describe what the spatsizi plateau used to be like back in the day, compared to now...and why.

http://thehuntingcollective.libsyn.c...valerius-geist

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    Id be willing to bet there are over 300 wolves in a 100km radius of my house.... probably 50km lol
    Aerial gunning hurts.

More of Dr. Valerius Geist talking about the devastation wolves are having on the landscape:

Did they say why the wolves were declining?
    Seems odd with all of the moose there...

Quote Originally Posted by huntingfamily View Post
    Did they say why the wolves were declining?
    Seems odd with all of the moose there...
    rapid onset lead poisoning.

guest Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sirloin View Post
    Aerial gunning hurts.

More of Dr. Valerius Geist talking about the devastation wolves are having on the landscape:

Thanks for posting Sirlion.......
    Here I thought I knew some things about Wolves........ HOLY CRAP MAN !!!! The things brought up in this video infuriate me more than ever that out Sr. Managers and Sr Bios, Government staff, Sr. Decision makers continue to turn a blind eye to proper management of ALL WILDLIFE than just the chosen Cuddly Fur bearers like Wolves Bears and Cats.

Shame on all the ANTI Pred hunt idiots that are winning the World over with their mis information and untruths...... I really hoping they start stirring up that Wolf shit and breathe in them eggs. That would be great Karma.

Thanks Dr. Giest for your hard work and dedication to healthy Wildlife Species of ALL types...... rather than the picked on poor Big Bad Wolf.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter gatherer View Post
    We have idiots running our province and country
    Truer words were never spoken!
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by steel_ram View Post
    Sweden doesn't have special groups with special rights.
    Funny, this year all I saw was white guys, a few east indians and a couple of oriental guys....none of those special rights people were killing a thing?

Maple Ridge, Horse Lake but sometimes the dog house

I was just talking about this with I guy I know in Sweden from an Elkhound site. Very low wolf numbers, although they are increasing. He lives in an area that the Samik people do reindeer herding and they make sure that no wolves get established, threatening their herds. Their system is different there. Landowners have hunting rights and hunters will often arrange to have multiple landowners together so that they can hunt their combined lands. His group is allowed to harvest, wait for it, 6 adult moose and 6 calves a year and any member of the group can shoot as many as he likes within that quota. Not just bulls, yet they have a far greater population than we do.

Another acquaintance says the same is true in Finland, another high moose population region. Finland eradicated wolves over a century ago and the populations flourished. Recently, wolves have started to enter from Russia and they are starting to experience problems again with the numbers of moose and hunting dogs that they are killing. The Finnish guy estimates that he has shot over 300 moose in his hunting career.

Look at Newfoundland. Moose were introduced in 1878 and 1904, 4 animals. It is estimated that they have approximately 110,000 moose on the island. They have so healthy a population that they annually harvest over 20,000 moose. They also allow harvest of cows and calves in addition to bulls. They also offer a $25 bounty on coyote hides. Wolves were also eliminated there but they are moving back onto the island, causing the government biologists to make plans to restrict their numbers.

Better predator control and science based management, don't just take out the males, have resulted in more abundant animal populations wherever these systems have been employed, including in the US with Whitetails.
    Cody: It's a pretty cool sidearm you got there. What is it?
    Four Leaf Tayback: I don't know what it's called. I just know the sound it makes when it takes a man's life.

Marvin Boggs

Frank, I never thought I'd say this again. I'm getting the pig!
    Frank, we gotta get rid of this broad. I know a great place up the road. Lots of alligators.

Marvin: If there's one thing I know, it's women and covert operations.
    Frank: Marvin, that's two things.
    Han Cho Bai: No, grasshopper. It is not.

Probably also has something to do with people who actually know what they are doing when it comes to managing a resource.
    "Gun control"...... is hitting what you aim at!!!!