Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Moose numbers Sweden vs BC

Hybrid View

Moose numbers Sweden vs BC

I was just doing a little reading on a moose hunt in Sweden and found a few things interesting. For a country that is half the size of BCs 950,000 sq. kms vs 450,000 sq. kms they have 300-400,000 moose vs BC's 170,000. Seems like they they are doing a much better job at maintaining a valuable resource than we are.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Moose numbers Sweden vs BC

I'm guessing less predators.

Sweden does have wolves and bears but don’t know how they compare density wise

Sweden doesn't have special groups with special rights.

Quote Originally Posted by steel_ram View Post
    Wrong,,saamis are spec.group in northern part of Sweden and Finland,, Norway too..but hunting right are controlled diff.way than here..a wayy better...no..landsleepers b.s...
    Last edited by finngun; 11-09-2019 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by steel_ram View Post
    Funny, this year all I saw was white guys, a few east indians and a couple of oriental guys....none of those special rights people were killing a thing?

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    Funny, this year all I saw was white guys, a few east indians and a couple of oriental guys....none of those special rights people were killing a thing?
    Thats because they hunt in august and then again after resident hunters season is over, thats what happens here.

Quote Originally Posted by 338win mag View Post
    Thats because they hunt in august and then again after resident hunters season is over, thats what happens here.
    Yup most FN hunting is done outside of the fall hunting season. I can say though some chiefs seem to be trying to limit harvest lately. Unfortunately the ones that really abuse their rights don’t listen when the chief says they are band from hunting.

I know for a fact one chief has told his band members no hunting moose without pleading your case with the chief first to see if it’s approved of. Also shooting cows is a no no. But there is those with statues who don’t acknowledge or even know the band’s request do to not being involved with the band. Then there are the ones who just don’t give a shit what the chief says because there is no real consequences for their actions. The bad ones do major damage example last year this chief caught a member selling meat that shot over 15 moose. Chief said he was no longer allowed to hunt but from what I heard that has not stopped him

There is definitely an issue with FN over harvest but I would say it’s way more complicated then most see it. The real issue I see is the bad FNs cannot be held accountable by our government or even their chief when they abuse their rights. Then add in the slob with status that does not even acknowledge the band but exploits the hunting rights. This is usually some guy who is 1/2 or 1/4 FN and all he knows is his status lets him get away with it

It’s definitely a mess and varies from area to area.

The other group are nocturnal. There is just to many wolves. I didnt want to believe it but they are now in the area i hunt and would have never thought it would happen.
    Last edited by dino; 11-14-2019 at 08:11 AM.
    Hunting the promised land

You slag Don Cherry, then.... say this^^^^^^^^ idiot.