Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Moose numbers Sweden vs BC

Re: Moose numbers Sweden vs BC

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    Cull the predators, limit the availability of tag #s by MU or Region, lower outfitter allocations to a max 5%, stop the spraying of p
    oison, and legislate the railroads to take measures to stop the outrageous numbers of winter kills for starters.
    You most likely will get most of the spray shut down....but then again even clear cuts that were not sprayed contain willows etc with very little nutritious value.
    I doubt you’ll get far with the railroads.
    Good luck on the predators unless you can get FN’s support and you’re a real wise one if you think cutting outfitters to 5% is a cure all.
    For that matter if all harvested species in BC are lumped outfitter harvest is already under 5%...go do the math.
    All that you have left is to reduce resident tags within MU’s.....well thought out fix HappyJack!

Quote Originally Posted by 2chodi View Post
    The suggestions out of the Moose Solutions Roundtable and Gorley Report, if implemented by gov would be a good place to start. Roundtable: 1) Predator control, 2) restrict access to roads and fireguards created in salvage logging and fighting fires and 3) get better data and use it to inform appropriate adaptive management at the landscape level.

Gorley:

PART 2 – MANAGEMENT TOOLS
    Recommendation 5 - Coordinated access management
    Recommendation 6 - Predator management
    Recommendation 7 - Management of moose hunting
    Recommendation 8 - First Nations’ harvest management
    Recommendation 9 - Compliance and enforcement
    Recommendation 10 - Protecting existing habitat
    Recommendation 11 - Silviculture practices
    Recommendation 12 - Habitat enhancement

Can you provide further detail to these recommendations, particularly #11.
    Are herbicide application policies considered?

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    You most likely will get most of the spray shut down....but then again even clear cuts that were not sprayed contain willows etc with very little nutritious value.
    Good luck on the predators unless you can get FN’s support and you’re a real wise one if you think cutting outfitters to 5% is a cure all.
    For that matter if all harvested species in BC are lumped outfitter harvest is already under 5%...go do the math.
    All that you have left is to reduce resident tags within MU’s.....well thought out fix HappyJack!
    Huh?

Quite possibly herbicide applications are having a MUCH bigger effect on moose and deer populations that acknowledged.
    This could be the linchpin in restoring game numbers in many areas.

A new argument for banning herbicide use in our forests is gaining steam.
    WildFire control.
    This concern could gain much more attention of the general populace than fewer moose for the hunters....

A worthwhile watch for those that are interested and invested in wildlife.

Presentation on the effects of glyphosate on deer

I've heard that largest contributor to the high density of moose in Sweden is "moose friendly silviculture practices." I've read that the forest industry in Sweden is complaining because they are having trouble growing trees because of the numbers of moose.

Fewer predators and competing species also helps.
    I would imagine that BC could get it's moose population up pretty dam quick if it was a priority. There has been a huge amount of acreage burnt in the last few years and if those lands were allowed to regenerate properly, without spraying of the deciduous trees we'd be off to a pretty good start. It makes absolutely zero sense that in an area as big as BC we have moose (and other ungulates) starving to death. WTF !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 180grainer View Post
    You'll never get recommendation 6 or 8. You'll get a hell of a lot of recommendation 7.
    You would get 8 if you implemented number 5. Natives mostly hunt where they can drive their trucks (frequently at night). If they had to walk into hunt an area they'd never go there. Those areas would be left to those that were'nt scared to sweat and would in fact become breeding sanctuaries producing animals that migrate out to other areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Buffalo View Post

Huh?

Quite possibly herbicide applications are having a MUCH bigger effect on moose and deer populations that acknowledged.
    This could be the linchpin in restoring game numbers in many areas.

A new argument for banning herbicide use in our forests is gaining steam.
    WildFire control.
    This concern could gain much more attention of the general populace than fewer moose for the hunters....

A worthwhile watch for those that are interested and invested in wildlife.

Presentation on the effects of glyphosate on deer
    I’m not disputing the fact that herbicide use is a problem but a recent study done in BC shows that browse growing in large clear cuts is inadequate in nutrition levels to keep ungulates alive.
    It seems there’s a correlation between shade, browse and nutrition/protein levels.
    Moose are starving to death with guts full of browse in areas with no spraying taking place.
    Go figure.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife...uly-8-2016.pdf

Glyphosate use is part of it, but cut block size and shape are also important as is planting for monocultures.

Huh?

Check out the following talk on nutritional values in cut blocks: https://video.unbc.ca/media/The+abun...pbu2wpdw/19801

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife...uly-8-2016.pdf

Glyphosate use is part of it, but cut block size and shape are also important as is planting for monocultures.

Check out the following talk on nutritional values in cut blocks: https://video.unbc.ca/media/The+abun...pbu2wpdw/19801
    Thanks 2chodi.

I’m not disputing the fact that herbicide use is a problem but a recent study done in BC shows that browse growing in large clear cuts is inadequate in nutrition levels to keep ungulates alive.
    It seems there’s a correlation between shade, browse and nutrition/protein levels.
    Moose are starving to death with guts full of browse in areas with no spraying taking place.
    Go figure.
    You have to take into consideration that the landscape isn't evenly regenerated with each species. If an area wasn't sprayed it was because there was a very low amount of deciduous trees in that area. The areas that have low amounts of good quality moose browse don't get sprayed. On the other hand if it's a veritable moose banquet table it will get poisoned off. Forests in BC are managed for timber only. Wildlife are not part of the equation.

scott h...I’ve been on the anti spray team since it was nothing more than a whisper on this site.
    What I’m pointing out is that logging and silviculture practices in the interior of BC has hung wildlife out to dry.

Outfitters to 5%, well where I live they get 25% of the AAH of bull moose, I've been lucky enough to win a bull moose LEH exactly once in the last 24 years, so I'm thinking it would be fair to cut the non resident hunters share down [at least around here] until the population recovered...then they could have more, until then BC residents should have more priority without cutting the guides out completely.