Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Moose numbers Sweden vs BC

Re: Moose numbers Sweden vs BC

Unlike in North America, most of Europe--Sweden included I believe--the wildlife are owned by the landowners,
    Not everywhere. Mostly the wildlife belongs to the country, landowners get quotas by permit and manage their lands and wildlife to a formal, approved, management plan.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

The wild card that creates the most division is that everyone wants access to harvest wildlife that is at present being managed to zero......thanks to the mentality of the “maximum opportunity and access” drum that was beat far too long.
    I bet the flames just got turned into a forest fire........
    feeding the pyromania ? .......nice

I've heard that largest contributor to the high density of moose in Sweden is "moose friendly silviculture practices." I've read that the forest industry in Sweden is complaining because they are having trouble growing trees because of the numbers of moose.

Fewer predators and competing species also helps.

Quote Originally Posted by 2chodi View Post
    I've heard that largest contributor to the high density of moose in Sweden is "moose friendly silviculture practices." I've read that the forest industry in Sweden is complaining because they are having trouble growing trees because of the numbers of moose.

Fewer predators and competing species also helps.
    The damage done in BC by logging practices won’t be corrected for several decades.
    No one wants other ungulate species removed from the landscape to enhance other species.
    So 2chodi.......what’s the fix that can put more moose back in BC the quickest?

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    feeding the pyromania ? .......nice
    No....maybe fanning the smoke just a bit.

boxhitch, past game management hasn’t worked real well.

Maybe what I proposed about letting outfitters manage wildlife species within their guide territories has some merit.
    The thought wasn’t mine...it came from a wildlife researcher and a few provincial bios support the concept.
    This line of thinking is backed up thru conversations with a young fellow I know who’s father is on Norway’s game management team.
    Norway, like Sweden has a healthy moose population....the ticket there is that Norwegian wolf numbers are kept in check at 100....no more, no less.

For example X outfitter area can support a certain number of moose, elk, caribou, deer, sheep or goats and the ratio of predators is maintained to a level where the ungulate species expand and hold at a target level with a hunter harvest also taking place.
    That’s called game management.....what we have now is a crap shoot at best.

Oh I see
    turn game management into a business model
    with habitat-, feed-, predator-, access-, competition-, resource extraction/replacement-, -controls all in place
    with each area working in collaboration with each of the neighbouring areas to a common goal
    at a common pace with common investment and commitment

What colour would the sky be ?

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Oh I see
    turn game management into a business model
    with habitat-, feed-, predator-, access-, competition-, resource extraction/replacement-, -controls all in place
    with each area working in collaboration with each of the neighbouring areas to a common goal
    at a common pace with common investment and commitment

What colour would the sky be ?
    LMAO.....let’s just carry on down the path of the common fail.......

Quote Originally Posted by 338win mag View Post
    You slag Don Cherry, then.... say this^^^^^^^^ idiot.
    Well Don Cherry is a blow hard so yup he got slagged, we don't all worship the silver spoon crowd and that's why so many of us don't vote Trudeau..

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    No....maybe fanning the smoke just a bit.

boxhitch, past game management hasn’t worked real well.

Maybe what I proposed about letting outfitters manage wildlife species within their guide territories has some merit.
    The thought wasn’t mine...it came from a wildlife researcher and a few provincial bios support the concept.
    This line of thinking is backed up thru conversations with a young fellow I know who’s father is on Norway’s game management team.
    Norway, like Sweden has a healthy moose population....the ticket there is that Norwegian wolf numbers are kept in check at 100....no more, no less.

For example X outfitter area can support a certain number of moose, elk, caribou, deer, sheep or goats and the ratio of predators is maintained to a level where the ungulate species expand and hold at a target level with a hunter harvest also taking place.
    That’s called game management.....what we have now is a crap shoot at best.
    Outfitters are in a business for profit, their profit, may as well let the fox manage the hen house.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    Outfitters are in a business for profit, their profit, may as well let the fox manage the hen house.
    Hmmm. So if you have hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars invested in a business, one would think you would strive to keep it profitable ie. ensure wildlife is plentiful ! Bearvalley has a point, thus far gov and our “res” mouth pieces have been epic fails for wildlife. Perhaps time to try another way