Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hiking with loaded rifle yay or nay?

Hybrid View

Hiking with loaded rifle yay or nay?

Just wondering what normal protocol is for carrying a rifle while hiking. I have to admit my memory is a little fuzzy from my PAL course on this subject other than you're supposed to PROVE it safe when picking it back up if you set it down. It seems to me that a rifle slung over the back or shoulder with a round in the chamber and the safety on is not very safe. I tend to only chamber a round when I am hand carrying my rifle. I know the sound of loading a round is usually enough to spook game too though so I was hoping to hear what others do. Thanks in advance.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hiking with loaded rifle yay or nay?

Legal, yes, safe that’s up to you

Loaded in the Chamber - NO safety ! RJ

I commend you (I think?) if you’re really going through your PROVE every time you pick up your rifle out in the field. Seems to me that that kind of guy would hike with a round unchambered. Myself... I’m not going to boot ski down shale or swing from vines with one on deck but if I creeping through a suspected hot zone in the timber slowly and deliberately I for sure have on ready to rock.

Good question. When I’m with someone, the chamber is always empty. When I’m alone and sign is getting my hopes up, I’ll chamber a round, put the safety on and unload when the terrain or conditions change. My gun is always in my hands when I’ve got a round in. Steep slopes, blowdown, etc, I’m not walking loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by Treed View Post
    Good question. When I’m with someone, the chamber is always empty. When I’m alone and sign is getting my hopes up, I’ll chamber a round, put the safety on and unload when the terrain or conditions change. My gun is always in my hands when I’ve got a round in. Steep slopes, blowdown, etc, I’m not walking loaded.
    This is the same thing I do. My theory is I’d rather spook off a bit of game by racking a round than having an accidental discharge. Accidental discharges are more common than you think and I can’t say I’ve missed out on an animal because I was chambering a round.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Quote Originally Posted by Treed View Post
    This is pretty much exactly my protocol. I'll add that if I'm with someone I insist they are unloaded as well or they can hunt alone. I was with someone once whose rifle discharged while removing it from his shoulder - never again.

Quote Originally Posted by treed View Post
    good question. When i’m with someone, the chamber is always empty. When i’m alone and sign is getting my hopes up, i’ll chamber a round, put the safety on and unload when the terrain or conditions change. My gun is always in my hands when i’ve got a round in. Steep slopes, blowdown, etc, i’m not walking loaded.
    x 2........................

If I'm going over obstacles or up or down a steep slope I'll always unchamber the round but other than that, I'm always walking around loaded safety on, but am always aware of where I'm pointing my barrel..but I also developed this habit in the military so that's my comfort level...it's really up to you and your comfort level or those your with if your not hunting alone...

lock and load baby
    got a pull the hammer back