Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hiking with loaded rifle yay or nay?

Hiking with loaded rifle yay or nay?

Just wondering what normal protocol is for carrying a rifle while hiking. I have to admit my memory is a little fuzzy from my PAL course on this subject other than you're supposed to PROVE it safe when picking it back up if you set it down. It seems to me that a rifle slung over the back or shoulder with a round in the chamber and the safety on is not very safe. I tend to only chamber a round when I am hand carrying my rifle. I know the sound of loading a round is usually enough to spook game too though so I was hoping to hear what others do. Thanks in advance.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hiking with loaded rifle yay or nay?

Legal, yes, safe that’s up to you

Loaded in the Chamber - NO safety ! RJ

I commend you (I think?) if you’re really going through your PROVE every time you pick up your rifle out in the field. Seems to me that that kind of guy would hike with a round unchambered. Myself... I’m not going to boot ski down shale or swing from vines with one on deck but if I creeping through a suspected hot zone in the timber slowly and deliberately I for sure have on ready to rock.

Good question. When I’m with someone, the chamber is always empty. When I’m alone and sign is getting my hopes up, I’ll chamber a round, put the safety on and unload when the terrain or conditions change. My gun is always in my hands when I’ve got a round in. Steep slopes, blowdown, etc, I’m not walking loaded.

If I'm going over obstacles or up or down a steep slope I'll always unchamber the round but other than that, I'm always walking around loaded safety on, but am always aware of where I'm pointing my barrel..but I also developed this habit in the military so that's my comfort level...it's really up to you and your comfort level or those your with if your not hunting alone...

lock and load baby
    got a pull the hammer back

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Simply if Im hunting alone I always have a round chambered but if I’m hunting with someone it’s empty.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

Magazine full and nothing in the Chamber. Learn to put a round in the Chamber without making the slightest noise, with practise it can be done on most Bolt Actions.

Never have your Safety on when there is no Shell in the Chamber.

And one more thing, never strap your Rifle onto your Packsack, in a SHTF scenario you may not be able to you get her ready quick enough to safe you.

Cheers

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

My chamber is empty, particularly while moving/hiking around. Once I'm in a position if I feel like it's time to rock I occasionally put one in the chamber, but usually I keep it empty. Personally, I can't justify the extra 1.5s to rack a round in to the chamber versus the risks of an accident. Purely personal choice.