Thread: Broad head target block

Broad head target block

Before I start I want state that i usually use a tight peat moss bail to check my poi of my broad heads, using my compound bows and X bow Micro 335. That's always worked well, and later I use the peat on a hedge, all good.

So while buying yet another X bow discharge target I saw a good price on a target block, yellow jacket, so I grab both. I usually shoot the sh1t out of the discharge blocks, just plain decent deal, using compound or recurve.

So I try out this YJ block with my PSE Treestand 70# and that's when I learned I bought a Broad Head target block. I wasn't wearing my reading glasses when I grabbed it. The arrows were very hard to remove.

So I try my micro 335 at 20yd with broad heads and they penetrate leaving about 5" sticking out. There was no way those bolts were budging.

After watching a YouTube by another sucker just like me, I saw that I would have to dismantle this block, which I did, and after removing my montecs I could with effort pull the shaft out the front. The name of the block is YJ350 just so you know to avoid.

But I would like to know if anyone could recommend a Broad head target block that really works, as in, allows an arrow to be retrieved. thanks.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Broad head target block

I have one of the cheaper ones that is just layers of foam. The broad heads end up going all the way through so I just unthread it from the arrow and then the arrow slips right out. Very convenient but the down side is they wear out quick. Lasts longer with field points shooting through the sides with the plastic burlap style material.

If you don`t want the extra expense of a broadhead target , simply use a fine sand filled cardboard box , 4/5ft square wood sand box on its side (45/) or use a natural sand bank . Our Club used the sand box on its side for years with little or no maintenance . Cheer.
    Last edited by greybark; 11-07-2019 at 09:15 AM.
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

Thank you both. I dismantled the back half of my block to retrieve my bolts. So I tuned my PSE today using it against my peat block. They pass thru, into the peat, I have to unscrew the montecs, then pull the shaft, its tolerable for what its worth. I use boxes of rubber mulch that you can get at home depot as bullet/pellet catchers, maybe that stuff will work for broad heads too. Now I have to try it out.

After shooting my Micro 355 in a compressed foam broadhead target and stripping fletches due to over penetration I bit the bullet and bought a Morrell High Roller. Looks like a big red dice. Works great, arrows can be pulled out easier, and no more wrecked arrows.

Checking that out now, thank you BC Steve.