Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Still new at hunting

Re: Still new at hunting

Quote Originally Posted by happyhunter View Post
    I’m not an expert but here’s my 2 cents. Generally speaking, a good portion of the hunting season is over but there’s is still time to get a deer if you’ve got time to put in. Your could focus on regions close enough to travel to which still offer good opportunity. Right now I would probably focus on WT in either region 8 or 4. Focus on winter range as the deer should be moving there. Have a plan for the animal (butcher or coolers) if you are successful. Good luck!
    im going to confidently say you are wrong. The deer hunting is JUST getting started. November 10-Dec 10 is the cats meow!

unless you’re trying to hunt the any buck any WT season but don’t limit yourself, we see substantially more animals in November than October, though a lot of our tags get filled in October just because we enjoy poor mans elk AKA white tail.

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    im going to confidently say you are wrong. The deer hunting is JUST getting started. November 10-Dec 10 is the cats meow!

unless you’re trying to hunt the any buck any WT season but don’t limit yourself, we see substantially more animals in November than October, though a lot of our tags get filled in October just because we enjoy poor mans elk AKA white tail.
    Can confirm.
    And don't stress about getting out first thing, especially now with the rut. The biggest animals I have either witnessed taken or taken myself have all been in the mid morning to late evening. Averaging in the mid afternoon. I'm talking big bodied 4-5 point mulies, 3-4 point whitetails and huge bears.
    Following tracks is really only useful in fresh snow.

Other than that, best of luck, and remember, they don't call it "hunting" for nothing!

Time on your feet! First 2 or 3 years I got zero. Get a few cams and set them up in areas where you see signs. If you don't have anyone showing you areas, you have to find them. Sounds vague but the more time you spend hiking and looking, the higher your chances of success.
    Hunting is getting better right now with the rut. Find does, the bucks are close, sit, call. Something might show up.
    Admittedly, region 2 can be tough depending on where you are.
    Patience is key. If you hike in timber, go slower, take longer breaks to look and glass than you think you should. I tried to fill my doe tag last week, hunted hard one day, saw does but could not get a shot. I was moving too fast and not enough patience. Hunted the following day much slower same area, saw signs, moved very slowly. Deer were there but could not see them.... I followed one track that looked fresh. 10 minutes later I was looking at a 4pt.
    There is always a little bit of luck involved. You will learn every single time you are out.

Search Jelvis threads. All you need to know will be in those riddles
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

I only have a 243

A .243 is all you need proper shot placement and a good bullet. I’ll be out all weekend in region 2 it’s go time.

Good luck!!!

J-F is offline Thanks for generous GOS!

Time and time.

I was out today, on Skull mountain, west of Barriere. I know the area, the first time I went was 10 years ago. I had days where I counted more than 35-40 deer in a single day. The herd is thinner nowadays...

I saw a doe, first hour. She was followed by another deer... bigger, with antlers! Not a really big one, but not a 2x2. Couldn't tell if that guy was legal.

The doe managed to ditch him (as it happens in all mammals species!!!), and we met again. Couldn't get a good picture of him, but not good enough to take a shot without thinking. You never should shoot and count afterwards anyway... He walked away, not spooked as I tried to close the distance.

I made mental map of where he likely would be for the end of the afternoon. I had the wind in my back, so I was making a long loop and turn to have the wind in my face as I planned to enter where I thought he would be. Of course, as I do the turn, he takes off!!! Had I make that turn 75 metered further I would have walked on him... now I'm playing catch-up hockey with him. I still don't think he was legal, but I still want to make sure! It will be there for the next time.

I'm 50 years old this year. I think I'm good at my profession, I can accomplish a few things. But I have hunted deer for the last 15 years or so, and I still learn stuff everyday I spend afield. Some people have it all, some have to work. And of course, luck is there to level the playing field. Keep courage and don't measure your success by the number of kills you count.

J-F is offline Thanks for generous GOS!

Oh yeah! I hesitated between the 243 and the 7mm Mauser today. The both work well, shoot good quality ammo and you're fine

The fastest way to turn your luck around is to find a mentor. The fastest way to do that, is to stick around here long enough and contribute and build a few friendships.

Everyone above gives great tips when it comes to hunting but the single most important tip is WHERE to try these tricks out!

But, for now, tell us where (roughly!) You've been hunting and the time of year and style of hunting so that we may offer to make corrections.