Thread: Lac La Hache

Lac La Hache

An invite to visit Lac La Hache came out of the blue. I'm hoping to do some grouse / sharptail hunting up there. I am not at all familiar with the area. I would appreciate any suggestions of likely areas to try ( and also areas to avoid ) if possible.

Thanks,

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Lac La Hache

I haven't seen much for sharptails around that area...
    Open google, type lac la hache, go to maps, click the satellite layer... you'll be able to see roads and cut blocks going every which way off of Highway 97. It really is pick a road and go.

Used to be a small bakery(left hand side going north) that made wonderful bread. Don’t know if its there any longer.

Quote Originally Posted by 4 point View Post
    Used to be a small bakery(left hand side going north) that made wonderful bread. Don’t know if its there any longer.
    yup, still there and still delicious.
    I’d have a look out towards the 108 Rd(stay left at the Timothy Lake junction). Good luck.

guest Guest

Try and hit some transition points between old growth and log outs. Find those partially grown clearings with blond long grass mixed with various ground berrys.
    Great fun on the wing those Sharpys with a 20. Ga. In hand its a gas. Reload fast and be ready for more to flush. Would be great fun over good working dog.

Try out Rail and Timothy lake way, lots of roads......lots of clearings.
    They are there.
    Have fun.

Hmmm curleytop and crane pete gave some good sage advice that still is good as of a couple weeks ago...too embarrassed to tell tge results. .much better on ruffed and bunnies..lol
    cheers
    srupp

No shortage of grouse around there. It would be like hunting street pigeons in Vancouver. I found most of the grouse to be unafraid of humans/vehicles. I thought out of dozens I only ever had one fly away. We hit the backroads between Lac la Hache and 100 mile. I don't recall the exact route, but if I recall it was "Wright Street" or something up towards Helena Lake (but turned off somewhere before the lake and towards 100 mile)

Found it easier to spot them off to the sides of the road on branches/stumps versus tradition grouse road hunting look on the road the ground on the sides/ditches.

Bag limits of ruffies will be a gimme. I recall getting some spruce as well. Don't think we got any sharptails though.

Thanks for the advice. We drove the Helena lake road from north to south. Found a likely looking two track - there are dozens of them. Dog flushed three on the other side of a fence. We couldn't get a shot. Walked around for 40 minutes . When we got back to the truck the rain started and never let up. One of the reasons I had headed up there was a forecast of "clear and cold" . Anyway it was good to see a new area.