Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorized vehicle restrictions

Re: Motorized vehicle restrictions

Quote Originally Posted by j270wsm View Post
    I recently went to south west Alberta dirtbiking for the first time. I was super excited about it because the atv club in that area has something like 2000km of marked trails. Well I can tell you that Ive never been so disgusted with what I saw. Trails that were so rutted out that they made a new trail beside he old one and this was done 3-4 times in some areas. My initial thoughts......” No wonder their back country use is being taken away “

As a responsible rider, I used to ride the single track trails around Door road but over time, some local and non local, idiots were continually hill climbing and making new trails which ended up getting the majority of the area closed down. There is now 1/10 of the trails left open to ride.

personally...I'm not against people using the back country....as long as they aren’t using it in a manner that will jeopardize everyone else’s future ability to use the back country.

I can agree with this 100%
    The Albertan Scourge of the south east corner of BC has caused a multitude of back country problems.

Meanwhile, the coal mines destroy whole mountain ranges, disrupt migration corridors, destroy winter range and Tembec shreds the forest and that is deemed to be okay.

But if you dare hunt in MY spot with your atv it is considered to be unacceptable.

What a messed up little picture viewpoint.
    Last edited by SemperAurum; 11-03-2019 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    many zones its great...in some zones its to make it easier for the guides..3-28-3-29 its needed aswell as numerous other zones..the animals need some quite areas...tie up the boots and grab your pack.

i would like to see more roads decomishioned.
    Roads "decommissioned keep "everyone out, but I fear we will see some areas with just "Gates" (and who holds the key???...hmmmm)

As to my 1st post, Goats and Sheep are the GO's (especially in the EK) bread and butter.
    I am pretty certain that many years ago it was they that led the charge to have roads restricted to motorized vehicles.
    And I am sure that the opinion was swallowed up by many of the hunters in the local R&G clubs in the area.
    In a way, rationale thinking would say it made sense for sure, and I can see why many there supported it.

But, I think one thing no one saw, or could see coming (myself included) is that in a way, these closures made for excellent areas for Preds
    like Wolves to flourish in, due to the lack of hunters getting back into that country due to closures.
    In a way, the PReds can continually repopulate from those areas, and then expand outwards from.
    The game as for as ungulates, have not flourished and if anything, diminished in those closures.

Actually, I don't even think the Goat and Sheep have excelled either due to it, or from it!
    I think some areas even there numbers are lower then before.
    Any guesses as to why???
    Yup, most likely come winter, hit by preds.

Also agree, whats the point when these areas have been hammered by logging as well, which isn't looking like a benefit when it is "too much".

Around Pemberton now just say no access if there are Grizz around. Guilty of being in a vehicle and being white... big fine. Re-introducing grizz to the Cascades... get used to "you're not allowed to go there because of the endangered grizz we introduced" ... probably coming to the Chilliwack / Hope area soon as it has around Pemberton/Lillooet

A policy analyst for the Ministry of Forests, Land and Natural Resources (FLNR) described to me the rational for Motor Vehicle for Hunting Closed areas as follows:

"Generally (if not always) a full prohibition on the use of motor vehicles, either seasonally or year-round, is in place to protect habitat. These can apply to specific lines (i.e. roads, trails) or polygons (i.e. watersheds, alpine areas)."

"The rational for Motor Vehicle for Hunting Closed Areas is generally social or to reduce harvest pressure in a specific area. In some areas access has increased in recent years which makes wildlife more vulnerable, motor vehicle for hunting closures are a tool in these situations to reduce hunter access into areas that were previously inaccessible by a motor vehicle. They are also in place to provide a diversity of hunting experiences (i.e. a road where they can walk, bike, or horseback into without seeing a quad every couple of kms)."

Quote Originally Posted by Squamch View Post
    No the real problem is whiny people who can't stand anyone using the outdoors in a way they don't agree with.

Wanna go hiking? Cool. Horseback riding? Cool. Recreational shooting? Just be safe! Bird hunting during deer season? Do it. Dirtbiking during deer season? Yep, have fun. Wanna cut a 10' wide trail through the bush for wheeling? Ok. That little patch is NOTHING. Same for mountain biker's building jumps or ramps. It's such a tiny percentage of the land, it's purely a visual issue. Like hikers whining if they find a gut pile.

Mind your own business, have your fun, and let them have theirs.
    This is one more guy that gets it. I totally agree. I hike and hunt the sub alpine and alpine. The amount of damage the logging companies, the cows, horses, mountain bikes, mines, dams and all other legal entities do is massive comparred to offroaders. I couldnt care less what others do.
    Hunting the promised land

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyHorseshoe View Post
    Be careful there. Motorized is motorized, there’s grey areas when it comes to electrics. It’s still a motor
    It is still a motor, however the main point of concern is the control, is a throttle used or is it pedal-assisted (i.e. the motor is not in use unless the rider is pedalling).

The province has already started to classify these bikes/vehicles into 3 classes.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/sp...04-25-2019.pdf

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/recreation/biking/

A class 1 can be used in BC parks and Rec Sites and Trails where mountain biking is already permitted.

The province has not yet created a policy with regards to e-bike classification and their use within Motor Vehicle for Hunting Closed Areas, and hopefully it will not be long until they do. But I am skeptical, I feel they will not create a policy and will leave it as a 'grey' topic and let CO's create their own opinions, which are likely to be similar to the one above....motors are motors.

Quads and dirtbikes with electric motors are 100% motor vehicles.

I'm still torn on motorized vehicle restrictions.

I spent a couple days hunting with someone. They were going on abut how they could fix an old washed out road to get to a hunting area on their quad.

A couple days later, back out hunting, they were sayin how you should be restricted to hunting at least a 100m even 200m off the road to limit people hunting on quads.

I pointed out how they're the first to try and take quads wherever they'really allowed to. Also one of their favourite hunting spots has no vehicle access and lots of non-locals hunt there.

It sucks when you'receive out hunting somewhere and someone comes blowing by you on a quad, but at the same time, it allows people who may have physical limitations get around in the bush. Also packing moose on a quad is a hell of a lot nicer on a quad... just not as fun.

I am strongly in favour of abolishing all road closures for hunting and allowing people to drive on established roads and trails.

Being "local" does not mean crap all. We are all "local". I get really sick and tired of this local privilege garbage and protectionism. We are all BC residents and we can darn well hunt wherever we decide to hunt.
    Last edited by SemperAurum; 11-03-2019 at 07:07 PM.

^^^^biggest prob with quads though I see is those who don't respect it and then they start driving off existing roads and trails and then they are actually creating new trails, and then the next guy takes that trail and so on...I have even seen it in the alpine and it pisses a guy off......

Quote Originally Posted by SemperAurum View Post
    I can agree with this 100%
    The Albertan Scourge of the south east corner of BC has caused a multitude of back country problems.

Meanwhile, the coal mines destroy whole mountain ranges, disrupt migration corridors, destroy winter range and Tembec shreds the forest and that is deemed to be okay.

But if you dare hunt in MY spot with your atv it is considered to be unacceptable.

What a messed up little picture viewpoint.
    Unfortunately it’s not only albertains( as much as I dislike most albertains ).
    Yes the mines cut down mountains and have disrupted some migratory routes but they have also created a huge safe area for animals as well.
    Locally....the areas that have seen the worst logging practices are private land.
    90% of the upper elk valley and the entire fording valley are closed to motor vehicles with the exception of the main fsr and a few side roads, so the quad issue doesn’t really effect me.