Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorized vehicle restrictions

Re: Motorized vehicle restrictions

Quote Originally Posted by backcountry99 View Post
    Nope not fighting with my wife, fighting with a narrow minded fool that thinks us as hunters have had zero impact on animal declines it’s all someone else’s fault. Agreed there are a lot of problems adding up to this decline. But let’s work together to fix it rather then playing the poor me I’ve gotten old and need to drive to the top of every mountain with my truck card so let’s base our wildlife management on my personal needs not what’s best for the animals. And that’s not an assumption of your stance you mentioned it many times in this thread!

Animals needs first, hunters second and then there will be so many deer running around you’ll be able to stay on paved roads to fill your freezer if you want!
    Another good post

Nope not fighting with my wife, fighting with a narrow minded fool that thinks us as hunters have had zero impact on animal declines it’s all someone else’s fault. Agreed there are a lot of problems adding up to this decline. But let’s work together to fix it rather then playing the poor me I’ve gotten old and need to drive to the top of every mountain with my truck card so let’s base our wildlife management on my personal needs not what’s best for the animals. And that’s not an assumption of your stance you mentioned it many times in this thread!

Animals needs first, hunters second and then there will be so many deer running around you’ll be able to stay on paved roads to fill your freezer if you want!
    Yup you are a hostile, hot headed one for sure. lol

As a case in point: lets look at the Upper Elk Valley in 4-23. Motorized vehicle access restrictions for hunting have been in place since the 1980's. 35-40 years now. Most old roads are so grown in even the grizzles quit using them.

The guide outfitter in the area has not harvested any elk for 2 years. Not sure about moose. You should call him up and ask how the elk and moose hunting is. The big game is all but gone. Dont forget, this is a professional hunter, not a fat, old washed up, whining has-been driving around in an F150 like me.

Motorized vehicle hunting restrictions have done nothing to increase the ungulate populations and enhance hunting opportunty. Nothing. Nada. Zilch.

Less big game now than ever in 100 years.

As for deer in an undisclosed area of region 3, I went out for a ride in my F150 last night for an hour and saw over 50 deer. All does. Fantastic! The nocturnal bucks will be able to breed them all - right beside the busy road. I never got out of the truck. All of them within 100m of busy roads. Also saw a dead doe on the highway. Must have been a fat, old whiny hunter in an F150 that hit her.
    Last edited by SemperAurum; 11-06-2019 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SemperAurum View Post

As a case in point: lets look at the Upper Elk Valley in 4-23. Motorized vehicle access restrictions for hunting have been in place since the 1980's. 35-40 years now. Most old roads are so grown in even the grizzles quit using them.

The guide outfitter in the area has not harvested any elk for 2 years. Not sure about moose. You should call him up and ask how the elk and moose hunting is. The big game is all but gone. Dont forget, this is a professional hunter, not a fat, old washed up, whining has-been driving around in an F150 like me.

Motorized vehicle hunting restrictions have done nothing to increase the ungulate populations and enhance hunting opportunty. Nothing. Nada. Zilch.

I went out for a ride in my F150 last night for an hour and saw over 50 deer. I never got out of the truck. All of them withn 100m of busy roads.
    There is truth to what he is saying and many examples of access restrictions with poor big game numbers.

Yaha tinda in Alberta is another great example.

As for deer in an undisclosed area of region 3, I went out for a ride in my F150 last night for an hour and saw over 50 deer. All does. Fantastic! The nocturnal bucks will be able to breed them all - right beside the busy road. I never got out of the truck. All of them within 100m of busy roads. Also saw a dead doe on the highway. Must have been a fat, old whiny hunter in an F150 that hit her.
    The road restrictions in the upper elk valley were implemented to prevent ease of access to sensitive sheep habitat. We also have horn restrictions on rams and cannot harvest ewes. Sheep numbers are stable and actually increasing so your case in point is that these road restrictions have probably aided in successful management of sheep.

So now you wanna look at the elk and moose, clearly a predator problem the same predator problem we are having all over the province. So like I’ve said a few times I feel very strongly about controlling the predators with the most effective means possible. In these modern times those types of ideas don’t always fly so as hunters lets get together and try to make it happen and until then make sure we are getting out there and killing as many as we can.

Ive never once said road restrictions will solve all our problems but are a very necessary tool. My opinion is in a site by site basis every new logging road should have a discussion on what piece of country is being opened up by this road and in a case by case scenario decide if that area is sensitive habitat that cannot handle the increased hunting pressure it’s going to cause.

Often ATV access is a by product of forestry and/or mining exploration. Here, in the EK, Canfor is real good at opening access into areas and leaving it open. This year, they put a bridge into the Pollock Creek drainage and the road will certainly follow. With access into Pollock, access into St.Eloi and Packhorse is likely to come before long. GD

Quote Originally Posted by GreyDog View Post
    Often ATV access is a by product of forestry and/or mining exploration. Here, in the EK, Canfor is real good at opening access into areas and leaving it open. This year, they put a bridge into the Pollock Creek drainage and the road will certainly follow. With access into Pollock, access into St.Eloi and Packhorse is likely to come before long. GD
    Exactly! If people want to complain about atv access then maybe we should close all access. A road, path or trail is pretty much all the same thing. The hypocrisy runs deep with the pro restriction group.
    Hunting the promised land

The road restrictions in the upper elk valley were implemented to prevent ease of access to sensitive sheep habitat. We also have horn restrictions on rams and cannot harvest ewes. Sheep numbers are stable and actually increasing so your case in point is that these road restrictions have probably aided in successful management of sheep.

So now you wanna look at the elk and moose, clearly a predator problem the same predator problem we are having all over the province. So like I’ve said a few times I feel very strongly about controlling the predators with the most effective means possible. In these modern times those types of ideas don’t always fly so as hunters lets get together and try to make it happen and until then make sure we are getting out there and killing as many as we can.

Ive never once said road restrictions will solve all our problems but are a very necessary tool. My opinion is in a site by site basis every new logging road should have a discussion on what piece of country is being opened up by this road and in a case by case scenario decide if that area is sensitive habitat that cannot handle the increased hunting pressure it’s going to cause.

Uh no. The access restrictions were put in to keep people out of the guide outfitters territory. It was a huge conflict of interest as outfitter was married to regional biologist.

As for sheep, The biggest and best rams were always harvested from the same spot. Everybody could sit in their F150 and bs and watch for them to appear and then race each other to the top. The big rams came overtop from Albertaville. There used to be good old fashioned fist fights over it.

Nowadays all of the sheep live on mine property and you cant hunt for them on mine property unless you shoot one while at work and bring it home in a barrel on the back of a service truck, or shoot one in a closed area and pack it on your back like neanderthal caveman and hope no one is looking.
    Last edited by SemperAurum; 11-06-2019 at 07:06 PM.

Uh no. The access restrictions were put in to keep people out of the guide outfitters territory. It was a huge conflict of interest as outfitter was married to regional biologist.

As for sheep, The biggest and best rams were always harvested from the same spot. Everybody could sit in their F150 and bs and watch for them to appear and then race each other to the top. The big rams came overtop from Albertaville. There used to be good old fashioned fist fights over it.

Nowadays all of the sheep live on mine property and you cant hunt them unless you shoot one while at work and bring it home in a barrel on the back of a service truck, or shoot one in a closed area and pack it on your back like neanderthal caveman and hope no one is looking.
    So your saying all sheep taken in that area now are taken illegally.

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    So your saying all sheep taken in that area now are taken illegally.
    You said that not me mr Wordsmith

I fixed my post for you. Sorry I did not get a chance to finish high school. I had to work to pay for the F150 that I used for drive around and hunt from.