Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorized vehicle restrictions

Re: Motorized vehicle restrictions

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Change is needed but there is ways to limit harvest where all hunters sacrifice equally instead
    We shouldn't be allowed to keep score either

so you don’t need access restrictions you need sound management, habitat protection, and predator control

Instead of beating around the bush and saying you want access restrictions just spit it out. You believe hunters are over harvesting do to the liberal seasons so you want to limit there impact with access restrictions. This will have minimal impact on your personal hunting and you won’t be interrupted either

Change is needed but there is ways to limit harvest where all hunters sacrifice equally instead
    100% change is needed and I believe access restriction is a big part of it. A lot needs to be changed with our overly liberal seasons and we need to get these predators under control!

im not gonna get into the argument of which group will lose there opportunities. How to make it fair for everyone old and young because frankly I don’t care! I’m sick of the participation metal approach. The games needs are what needs to be put first and if Freddy can’t hunt an area because he’s not capable of getting off his quad then so be it because at the end of the day if we don’t take care of these animals there won’t be any there for Freddy whether he can drive to the top of the mountain or not!

Quote Originally Posted by dmaxtech View Post
    Found this an interesting read this morning related to access and success and game populations. https://thehunterconservationist.com...nting-success/

Excellent read. Thank you for that link.

I wonder how many 10's of kilometers wolves will cause an elk to flee, or how many 10's of kilometers a cow elk that is about to give birth travels while being followed around by bear.

Every large mature bull elk and his harem that I have spooked by walking into an area almost always vacate to the next valley over, if not further. Its what they do in narrow steep terrain. When I return a week later there is usually no sign of them. No poop. No tracks. No pee stains. No elk odor. nada. gonzo. outta here. An elk that is disturbed from his hidey hole by a master human predator gets the hell out of Dodge.

On the other hand, when I drive by in a truck or atv I usually find them again soon after they vacate.

Deer and moose never go very far. They just hide more.

Sheep and goats go vertical and laugh at you

Elk are a cagey beast that will run overtop a mountain to escape the smell of a human's dirty butt. And if they see youu AND smell you, they will probably go two valleys over. When you walk into an elk's hidey hole it disturbs them really, really, really lots.

Quote Originally Posted by skibum View Post
    Well they keep ATV out of the ATV restricted zone that I hunt. Lots of deer and I see few hunters where I hike. I am seeing a positive correlation between ATV use and game concentrations in these areas. According to the biologist, ATV restrictions are about reduced success rates, not about tearing up the landscape - at least in 3-28

Other side of coin is that I get a little jealous of the dudes that just bomb around on ATVs looking to scare game up, using a ground covered approach - while I spend hours hiking the back country. But that is only until my legs have recovered from the weekend - to each his own, I will get old someday too.
    I thought last season, the ATV ban would result in me seeing less hunters.
    Nope, I actually had more than ever.
    But, it was quieter, and I think people covered less ground on any of those really old side roads.

I think folks with ATV's will probably see their ability to use them diminished more and more over the coming years.
    Which is a shame as I do get why they are so popular.
    I know an avid health/sheep hunter enthusiast, who could hike circles around anyone, and I mean that.
    But the truth is, age catches up and he know uses a quad.
    We will all get there, if your hunting passion is devoted enough, just some get to that point sooner than others.

ATV's having plates on them was a great thing as it is easier to report someone using them where they shouldn't.
    With that in the past, I think moving forward, there has to be some real effort put towards atvs not leaving any roads, at any time of the year.
    And, the only reason for that is to protect habitat, sensitive habitat like grasslands.

The same area I talked about with that 300 pound + hunter, well, it is a well known winter grown, and damn, those dirt bike clubs go up there
    come winter time!!???
    Even had a group of them camped by me and tell me how some don't go in there from fear of hitting a deer!
    Which one has to ask, how can this be allowed???
    He we restrict hunters, but no one else.

Again, it has to be a FULL management issue in place.
    Not this little piece meal crap that does not work.
    Not only do we have to get winter range back, we have to do a better job of protecting the ones we have from many user groups.
    And without decent winter range, having mile and miles of restricted motor vehicle access in the backcountry, which is generally summer range, is completely useless if there is no game going back into the hinterland come spring.

Some of these policies are so old school.
    What they failed to fathom back then with some of this stuff is that the government/ministry would walk away from all other avenues of
    enhancing wildlife.
    Why do you think I laugh at some talking about restricting this or restricting that (restricting hunters and bag limits) when that only works
    when there are situations beyond anyones control like large winter die offs etc, and we may need to shut things down/limit to let the game/species in the area rebound again.
    But everything else has to be in order, and that's not happening and is the BIG FAIL.

I would just like to see ATV/ORV stay on the roads.
    Off of trails (other than designated) and definitely off of habitat that has neither for sure.
    There is lots of work ahead for sure, but lets keep it real and not get overboard either.

Quote Originally Posted by backcountry99 View Post
    100% change is needed and I believe access restriction is a big part of it. A lot needs to be changed with our overly liberal seasons and we need to get these predators under control!

im not gonna get into the argument of which group will lose there opportunities. How to make it fair for everyone old and young because frankly I don’t care! I’m sick of the participation metal approach. The games needs are what needs to be put first and if Freddy can’t hunt an area because he’s not capable of getting off his quad then so be it because at the end of the day if we don’t take care of these animals there won’t be any there for Freddy whether he can drive to the top of the mountain or not!
    Honestly my big issue with access restrictions is they do nothing but shift the pressure to other areas have a larger impact on surrounding populations. Simply put it does not solve anything it only moves the pressure. Basically you achieve a slight benefit to a small area well negatively impacting others. In the big picture of things you have accomplished nothing to change pressure and may actually be increasing pressure on more sensitive populations.

Might make you feel like something is being accomplished at best. You need to remember spreading pressure is a tool in limiting impact. There is not substitute for sound management when it comes to hunting impact

I am an on foot hunter 95% of the time with an ATV that has been on 5 hunts since 2005 so not trying to protect my style of hunting either

Honestly my big issue with access restrictions is they do nothing but shift the pressure to other areas have a larger impact on surrounding populations. Simply put it does not solve anything it only moves the pressure. Basically you achieve a slight benefit to a small area well negatively impacting others. In the big picture of things you have accomplished nothing to change pressure and may actually be increasing pressure on more sensitive populations.

Might make you feel like something is being accomplished at best. You need to remember spreading pressure is a tool in limiting impact. There is not substitute for sound management when it comes to hunting impact

I am an on foot hunter 95% of the time with an ATV that has been on 5 hunts since 2005 so not trying to protect my style of hunting either

I do not agree. I’m not talking about putting access restrictions on existing road that guys are already hunting to force them into new areas. I’m talking about putting access restrictions on new roads into sensitive habit that has seen very limited hunting pressure in the past. Basically leaving it status quo. Because we r blind if your not noticing how extensive the backcountry access roads have become in present times.

in no way do I think this is gonna fix all our problems but that is something as hunters we can control. Easy to make that happen in the regs. If I had my way we would have lots of full blown wilderness areas like the states, controlled burns every spring and eliminate the wolf problem by the most effective way possible.

But the mentallity of I need an opportunity to drive my quad everywhere so as that I get a fair chance to harvest an elk a whitetail buck and a whitetail doe and a muledeer buck and oh maybe an immature moose to is not helping anything. Tom Dick and Harry’s personal needs should be forgotten and the animals needs put first. And having 37 guys in f150’s be able to access the last ridge in an area without a road because of a new road everyday after work and this having every legal animal harvested is not helping anything! Restricting access to some areas is absolutely necessary unless we can implement bigger better management approach’s

I do not agree. I’m not talking about putting access restrictions on existing road that guys are already hunting to force them into new areas. I’m talking about putting access restrictions on new roads into sensitive habit that has seen very limited hunting pressure in the past. Basically leaving it status quo. Because we r blind if your not noticing how extensive the backcountry access roads have become in present times.

in no way do I think this is gonna fix all our problems but that is something as hunters we can control. Easy to make that happen in the regs. If I had my way we would have lots of full blown wilderness areas like the states, controlled burns every spring and eliminate the wolf problem by the most effective way possible.

But the mentallity of I need an opportunity to drive my quad everywhere so as that I get a fair chance to harvest an elk a whitetail buck and a whitetail doe and a muledeer buck and oh maybe an immature moose to is not helping anything. Tom Dick and Harry’s personal needs should be forgotten and the animals needs put first. And having 37 guys in f150’s be able to access the last ridge in an area without a road because of a new road everyday after work and this having every legal animal harvested is not helping anything! Restricting access to some areas is absolutely necessary unless we can implement bigger better management approach’s
    Good post.

Deep, deep, deep down in the inner heart of hearts of those in favour of access restrictions is the underlying desire to keep everyone else out of their favorite spots. It is a deep rooted human condition. Hunters despise the presence of other hunters in their spot.

Vehicle access restrictions for hunting has done nothing whatsoever to enhance ungulate populations in this province. Nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by SemperAurum View Post
    Deep, deep, deep down in the inner heart of hearts of those in favour of access restrictions is the underlying desire to keep everyone else out of their favorite spots. It is a deep rooted human condition. Hunters despise the presence of other hunters in their spot.

Vehicle access restrictions for hunting has done nothing whatsoever to enhance ungulate populations in this province. Nothing.
    And all the new roads and access are helping enhance ungulate populations how?
    Many of those that think they should be allowed to go any where have no concern for wildlife or conservation.
    Last edited by LBM; 11-05-2019 at 02:31 PM.