Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorized vehicle restrictions

Re: Motorized vehicle restrictions

Quote Originally Posted by SemperAurum View Post
    Uh no. The access restrictions were put in to keep people out of the guide outfitters territory. It was a huge conflict of interest as outfitter was married to regional biologist.

As for sheep, The biggest and best rams were always harvested from the same spot. Everybody could sit in their F150 and bs and watch for them to appear and then race each other to the top. The big rams came overtop from Albertaville. There used to be good old fashioned fist fights over it.

Nowadays all of the sheep live on mine property and you cant hunt them unless you shoot one while at work and bring it home in a barrel on the back of a service truck, or shoot one in a closed area and pack it on your back like neanderthal caveman and hope no one is looking.
    Now that’s funny the way people like you can sway stories!!!! The regional biologist was not married to Bob Fontana when those road closures were put in place.? She was married to another outfitter at the time.

And how about the road closures in all the other sheep areas in the east kootenays what’s your BS story for those?

So tell me how road access restrictions do not help animals in any way especially in new previously inaccessible habitat? Particularly sensitive habitat. I’d really like to hear Your thoughts on that? We’ve all heard that your getting older and feel that all new roads should be open to allow u access and that backpack hunters don’t bring out there meat and that these are only private reserves for outfitters and horseback hunters. But really why do access restrictions not help game, let’s hear a real reason?

curl and age restrictions do it for sheep unless the indians choose to kill young rams or ewes. Wolf and bear dont care.

Antler point tine restrictions work for elk and moose unless the indians choose to kill cows and young bulls. Wolf and bear dont care.

If a non- indgeness person drives their f150 into an area it does not mean they will kill a legally harvestable animal. It just means that they drove into the area. Killing a legal animal is a whole different ballgame.
    Last edited by SemperAurum; 11-06-2019 at 07:26 PM.

Much Game is dead and gone in BC. The dramatic and rapid reduction of ungulates was in no way, shape, or form, caused by hunters in cars, trucks, boats, atv's, planes, snowmobiles, or motorcycles.

curl and age restrictions do it for sheep unless the indians choose to kill young rams or ewes. Wolf and bear dont care.

Antler point tine restrictions work for elk and moose unless the indians choose to kill cows and young bulls. Wolf and bear dont care.

If a non- indgeness person drives their f150 into an area it does not mean they will kill a legally harvestable animal. It just means that they drove into the area. Killing a legal animal is a whole different ballgame.
    Ok so you figure horn restrictions work but access restrictions don’t. I agree I think horn restrictions are definitely a useful tool but I think access restrictions are to. I feel your reading me wrong thinking I care wether you kill an animal from a truck or from foot, and trust me I do not. Access restrictions are used to limit the amount of hunters going into an area, especially a newly developed area or an area that is just to sensitive to the added pressure. Of course there not always going to work because if all 100 guys that are willing to drive in are still willing to walk then it’s accomplished zilch but we all know that’s not the case. By limiting the amount of hunters you are essentially managing the harvest rate in that area, no different then horn restrictions or Leh. Is that perfect **** no, Like I said I’d way rather fix the route of the problem. But there is no way we can continue to open up unlimited back country access, have liberal seasons, not control predators effectively and think we will have animals left. We as hunters are becoming pretty freekin effective with the new technology out there so like it or not it’s not just 4 legged predators crushing our animal numbers.

We will have to disagree.

Vehicle access for hunting tends to upset the horsey and Backpack crowd. It really upsets them. I cant explain it. Kinda like same as when 10 guys in a bar wanting same girl. Dude in car drives up and gets her. They all upset.

We will have to disagree.

Vehicle access for hunting tends to upset the horsey and Backpack crowd. It really upsets them. I cant explain it. Kinda like same as when 10 guys in a bar wanting same girl. Dude in car drives up and gets her. They all upset.
    It doesn’t matter who it upsets, that’s my whole point your basing what we should do on what you want! We need to base it on what’s best for the animals! And just like horn restrictions for some sensitive species such as sheep and elk there needs to be access restrictions for some sensitive areas!

Judging by your comments your ideas are way out of touch and based on personal grudges!

I hunt some VCA's. I started doing so as a means to get away from the crowds and actually having relatively easy access into some great country.

In the past I have backpacked into these areas to hunt goat, elk, and Griz. I liked the fact that I could use the existing road system to walk in and access drainages without constant buzzing of Atvs, trucks, trailers and big camps. And in all my time hunting them, I saw few horseback hunters. One of the areas makes it just tough enough to discourage most hunters from some pretty good country.

They offer a huge reduction in hunting pressure and a massive increase in satisfaction. They are open to everyone, all you need to do is put in a little effort.

In my experience, the hunting is usually better. Notice I didnt say game sightings. This is because driving around and glassing or looking in slashes or waiting for asomething to walk out as you go is a great way to see lots of game, and a good way to fill the freezer, but IMO a crappy way to
    enjoy a hunt. Oh ya, did I say that I shot my WT buck this year when I saw him in a timber stand while driving back to camp. I am not above taking an easy one when the situation presents itself.

I could care less what the reason(s) were or are for the VCA be it habitat or game number concerns. There is tons of road access throughout this province, and it grows every year. Having some areas closed to recreational vehicle use not a bad thing.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 11-06-2019 at 08:38 PM.

When you reach a certain stage of life you drive where you want, poop where you want, and pee where you want and you lose interest in hunting because you realize that there are so so so so many other actvities that you can spend your time on.

I still hunt but lately I question why.

Nonetheless, I will go to the nursing home ranting that motorized restriction for the purpose of hunting have done absolutely nothing to improve the ungulate population in BC. All it serves to do is control people.

kill the goddamn wolves and open up a grizzly season and it will be a game changer. If not, the game is over. and ffs, stop the destruction of our forests. It is the home of our animals. time for the world to switch away from using wood for construction.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    The "Rationale" makes "total sense.
    Onw would have to be an idiot to not think it couldn't be of benefit.
    HOWEVER, this rationale only works when "Proper MANAGEMNT" of so called areas and surrounding areas is implemented and maintained.

Basically, in the end, that was what was "not done".
    I think many thought it these restricted areas would "manage themselves"....
    NOPE!!

And like many have said, you can restrict hunters, but many user groups, both for pleasure and industry "were not restricted".
    So, basically, they are utterly useless as a way to protect wildlife, if one does not use proper "management tools".
    In the Motor Vehicle for Hunting Closed Areas that I frequent there has been no restrictions to logging or mining activities. Every year the roads get longer. There is has been no restrictions to recreational vehicles, quads, dirtbikes. There has been no restrictions to trail building for said recreational vehicles. No restrictions to mountain biking and mountain bike trail building. Sometimes the trails are 'built' right on game trails. Perfect trails that have been there for hundreds of years or more. How convenient!
    There's no restrictions to firewood gathering, camping, cabin building.
    There's no restrictions whatsoever except you can't hunt from a motor vehicle. Oh wait! Yes you can. If you have a disabled permit you can hunt in these areas with your truck, nothing like hiking 5km in the dark only to be overtaken at sunrise by some guy with a heart condition and his 1/2 ton truck. A million other roads to hunt and they go into the road closure.
    The road closures need to be seriously analyzed and heavily restricted. Maybe then, and only then, will the animals start to return to these areas.

Well you had me agreeing and feeling gleeful about everything you posted. You blew it by mentionng the guy in the pickup with a permit to hunt fom the truck. Absolutely blew it.

You just verfied what I have been saying for decades. Horsey and backpack people hate it that someone drives into an area that they are hunting in. The nerve of that legal hunter. How dare he. omg, If you cant enjoy your day out walking and hunting regardless of who or what drives past, then it is a truly , truly pathetic state of mind that you succumb to. Its the human condition. We all suffer from it. Some worse than others.

Motorized vehicle restrictions for the purpose of hunting have not done anything to increase ungulate populations in BC.