Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorized vehicle restrictions

Re: Motorized vehicle restrictions

Quote Originally Posted by ratherbefishin View Post
    I’m 72 and just can’t pack game out of areas I once hiked into.An ATV allows me to pack an animal out
    I hear ya brother,,Im 68 and have the same problem,,still want to hunt,,but whats the point if I cant bring back the game. This " lace up the boots" was ok when I was younger,,but not now.

Quote Originally Posted by slowjo View Post
    A policy analyst for the Ministry of Forests, Land and Natural Resources (FLNR) described to me the rational for Motor Vehicle for Hunting Closed areas as follows:

"Generally (if not always) a full prohibition on the use of motor vehicles, either seasonally or year-round, is in place to protect habitat. These can apply to specific lines (i.e. roads, trails) or polygons (i.e. watersheds, alpine areas)."

"The rational for Motor Vehicle for Hunting Closed Areas is generally social or to reduce harvest pressure in a specific area. In some areas access has increased in recent years which makes wildlife more vulnerable, motor vehicle for hunting closures are a tool in these situations to reduce hunter access into areas that were previously inaccessible by a motor vehicle. They are also in place to provide a diversity of hunting experiences (i.e. a road where they can walk, bike, or horseback into without seeing a quad every couple of kms)."
    The "Rationale" makes "total sense.
    Onw would have to be an idiot to not think it couldn't be of benefit.
    HOWEVER, this rationale only works when "Proper MANAGEMNT" of so called areas and surrounding areas is implemented and maintained.

Basically, in the end, that was what was "not done".
    I think many thought it these restricted areas would "manage themselves"....
    NOPE!!

And like many have said, you can restrict hunters, but many user groups, both for pleasure and industry "were not restricted".
    So, basically, they are utterly useless as a way to protect wildlife, if one does not use proper "management tools".

nothing better than hiking into a alpine area and setting up to glass then a quad buzzes straight into the meadow you are sitting over

Plenty of places to hunt by ATV or truck. Having some areas that are quiet and still feel like you're in nature isn't a bad thing.
    Backcountry Hunters and Anglers BC

I think the quads etc can just stick to the roads, all would be good.
    I too have the odd spot were it was nice and peaceful, and a great honeyhole to hike into, but then the local dirt bike club (probably some
    hunters in the club) worked a trail in and up to there.
    Didn't take long for the quads to follow at that point, and haven't gone back since.

No need to stay in shape and even saw a 300 pound + hunter in a side by side who probably couldn't even walk 50 yards from it on his
    own up there hunting.
    He now had opportunity he never would have fathomed 40 years ago.
    So much for atleast trying to get into shape?
    (and I am not talking about those with a bad back, I understand that issue myself)

Just walk and you will get around then you don`t have to read signs

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    HOWEVER, this rationale only works when "Proper MANAGEMNT" of so called areas and surrounding areas is implemented and maintained.

NOPE!!

And like many have said, you can restrict hunters, but many user groups, both for pleasure and industry "were not restricted".
    So, basically, they are utterly useless as a way to protect wildlife, if one does not use proper "management tools".

This is a very intelligent and accurate post. Thank you.

The restricted areas are used for people management not wildlife management. So many areas of the wonderful province have had the wildlife populations decimated.

Bring back the grizzly hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post

NOPE!!

this is right on the money and with the sheer amount of access into the backcountry now days we need more of these restrictions especially on new roads but the areas need to be managed properly!

Why do we need more access restrictions for human recreation??????

Access restriction is the new fad to solve game populations decline. In the past it was we need fire, Kill the WT to save MD, funding and predators

Now it’s we must de activate roads and road closures are needed. I wonder what the new buzz solution will be in a few years