Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorized vehicle restrictions

Re: Motorized vehicle restrictions

I’m 72 and just can’t pack game out of areas I once hiked into.An ATV allows me to pack an animal out

I humped my sorry ase up a Mnt for 3 hours last fall. Was sitting down feeling good about myself only to find an almost octogenarian huffing up behind me. That was inspirational! I’m fine with ATVs used legally but there is so much illegal trail cutting and use in sublpine/alpine areas. Not cool for those who abide by the regs to find a quad up in a subalpine bowl. Happened to me three weeks ago.

Lots of the closures are comical when you have heli drops for mountain bikers way higher than any atv restrictions.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

ATVs aren't the real problem, The real problem is IDIOTS ON ATVs and in 4x4s that like to tear up the country by seeing if they can climb that hill or drive threw that swamp.

Quote Originally Posted by 303savage View Post
    ATVs aren't the real problem, The real problem is IDIOTS ON ATVs and in 4x4s that like to tear up the country by seeing if they can climb that hill or drive threw that swamp.
    I have never seen mountain bikers dig up pristine mountain terrain with picks and shovels or build huge jumps by digging and moving the earth.

Same goes for outfitters and guides. They never cut trails or disturb the earth.

Snowmobiles were band in the summer and fall a long time ago. The a sled with the old bogey track suspension with wheels on the front was getting quite popular in late 60s. Protest about to eazy access to back county hunting brought a ban on them. I like my quad but I think some places need to be of limits. The guys with the mud bogger mentality drive me crazy. Trails I used for years on a 3 wheeler got distorted in no time by quad riders that must pin the throttle in ever puddle or stream until it becomes a soup hole that no one can get through.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Treed View Post
    I humped my sorry ase up a Mnt for 3 hours last fall. Was sitting down feeling good about myself only to find an almost octogenarian huffing up behind me. That was inspirational! I’m fine with ATVs used legally but there is so much illegal trail cutting and use in sublpine/alpine areas. Not cool for those who abide by the regs to find a quad up in a subalpine bowl. Happened to me three weeks ago.
    Did You take pictures and REPORT Them ? RJ

Quote Originally Posted by 303savage View Post
    No the real problem is whiny people who can't stand anyone using the outdoors in a way they don't agree with.

Wanna go hiking? Cool. Horseback riding? Cool. Recreational shooting? Just be safe! Bird hunting during deer season? Do it. Dirtbiking during deer season? Yep, have fun. Wanna cut a 10' wide trail through the bush for wheeling? Ok. That little patch is NOTHING. Same for mountain biker's building jumps or ramps. It's such a tiny percentage of the land, it's purely a visual issue. Like hikers whining if they find a gut pile.

Mind your own business, have your fun, and let them have theirs.
    Last edited by Squamch; 11-03-2019 at 09:21 AM.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Squamch View Post
    No the real problem is whiny people who can't stand anyone using the outdoors in a way they don't agree with.

Wanna go hiking? Cool. Horseback riding? Cool. Recreational shooting? Just be safe! Bird hunting during deer season? Do it. Dirtbiking during deer season? Yep, have fun. Wanna cut a 10' wide trail through the bush for wheeling? Ok. That little patch is NOTHING. Same for mountain biker's building jumps or ramps. It's such a tiny percentage of the land, it's purely a visual issue. Like hikers whining if they find a gut pile.

Mind your own business.
    You make some very very good points here. Thank you. Selfish whinng and people not minding their own business is a huge driver of back country user conflcts.

This province has been decimated by logging activities. Just hop on a plane or look at Google Earth or take a drive on the thousands of miles of backcountry roads. Landscapes have been destroyed with no regard for drainage, stream management, or rehabilitation. And no fines to the forest companies or the third world loggers that do the dirty work for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Squamch View Post

Mind your own business, have your fun, and let them have theirs.
    I recently went to south west Alberta dirtbiking for the first time. I was super excited about it because the atv club in that area has something like 2000km of marked trails. Well I can tell you that Ive never been so disgusted with what I saw. Trails that were so rutted out that they made a new trail beside he old one and this was done 3-4 times in some areas. My initial thoughts......” No wonder their back country use is being taken away “

As a responsible rider, I used to ride the single track trails around Door road but over time, some local and non local, idiots were continually hill climbing and making new trails which ended up getting the majority of the area closed down. There is now 1/10 of the trails left open to ride.

personally...I'm not against people using the back country....as long as they aren’t using it in a manner that will jeopardize everyone else’s future ability to use the back country.