Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good chance on a spike bull! Tips?

Re: Good chance on a spike bull! Tips?

our group got a nice two point yesterday. only 5 more tags to fill

Personally, I think cow calling in November scares away more moose than it attracts. I’ve heard of this late rut, but haven’t witnessed it. They seem to get there senses back by then and get smarter than us.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Quote Originally Posted by monasheemountainman View Post
    our group got a nice two point yesterday. only 5 more tags to fill
    Did you call him in or stumble across him?
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    Personally, I think cow calling in November scares away more moose than it attracts. I’ve heard of this late rut, but haven’t witnessed it. They seem to get there senses back by then and get smarter than us.
    hmmm I agree that the rut is over for most all..however it is a option..I have had success once in a lot of years..I tend to not hunt the late season but when I do I follow the food..find the food you find the moose..im not willing to say it will frighten the moose...as it is natural and does happen..but the odds are quitly find the bedding..feeding....watch the wind...
    During the rut..moose pee..calling they find you..now you must find them..in their back yard..
    Srupp

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    hmmm I agree that the rut is over for most all..however it is a option..I have had success once in a lot of years..I tend to not hunt the late season but when I do I follow the food..find the food you find the moose..im not willing to say it will frighten the moose...as it is natural and does happen..but the odds are quitly find the bedding..feeding....watch the wind...
    During the rut..moose pee..calling they find you..now you must find them..in their back yard..
    Srupp
    I think their call changes too. They definitely talk to each other all year long, but a guy probably has to figure out what kind of call to use other than the one they use during the rut.

I can’t agree more with you on the food thing in the late season. I’ve run into a few spots in the middle of winter where’ve they’ve eaten everything in sight and trampled the whole place. Particularly at the end of lakes where the water runs in or out and is flat.

I would never bother calling in november for moose. im sure its worked before but I like to hunt quietly and only call when that specific animal is in rut.

Quote Originally Posted by monasheemountainman View Post
    I would never bother calling in november for moose. im sure its worked before but I like to hunt quietly and only call when that specific animal is in rut.
    Went out today and came across a 3x3 with two cows... bummer lol so close I tried hard to make a point disappear lol but it didn’t!! Had a good view for a half hour before the wind swirled and off they went. Saw a bigger bull at a distance but just a brief glimpse. Good day over all. Saw one big 3x2 get taken in the middle of the road.

Hmmm moose do find wintering areas..always secluded..little disruption..and always lots and lots of food..I know 2 wintering areas..one can have up to 100 moose in a relatively small area...ive personally have seen in one January 1 morning...the other has between 40..60 moose...again food..lots and lots of food...however I dont know how far moose need to move...there still seems to be moose numbers most places with food..deer I know move from the entire Caribou mountains to the Fraser river basin....hundreds and hundreds of deer funneling through several narrow valleys...3,500 and more deer winter in small areas along the Fraser south of this wintering area..numbers of exceeding 7,000 deer....
    same goes for moose..after the rut..moose only think of food in a secure enviroment.
    Physically locate the food...with snow you can locate tracks..however tall timber close by..bedding..
    Good luck
    Srupp

Never seen an immature...called lots of bigger bulls,but never a legal immature.Scares me, I once saw
    what I THOUGHT was a legal immature ,only to see a small point that made it illegal...