Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good chance on a spike bull! Tips?

Good chance on a spike bull! Tips?

I'm really hoping to get my first spike bull moose this year. I know, it's like looking for a needle in a haystack, but I have the advantage of seeing TWO spike bulls in September. I've never seen them this close to opening so I'm pretty optimistic. Any tips? Do they wander very far/am I wasting my time going back to the swamp I saw the one in?

Should I be cow calling or bull moose calling to try and get him to come to me?

Any tips and advice are appreciated!

2. Site Sponsor

Recent Nanaimo transplant to Williams Lake

Re: Good chance on a spike bull! Tips?

If you are using a bull call, you might get them to turn tail and leave if they have been pushed around once by a bigger bull during the rut. I would think a cow call might be a better choice as they might think it is a cow coming into late heat and try to get closer to her. Good luck
    "People who know the least always argue the most."

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right, you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by Princeton.kennedy View Post
    I'm really hoping to get my first spike bull moose this year. I know, it's like looking for a needle in a haystack, but I have the advantage of seeing TWO spike bulls in September. I've never seen them this close to opening so I'm pretty optimistic. Any tips? Do they wander very far/am I wasting my time going back to the swamp I saw the one in?

Should I be cow calling or bull moose calling to try and get him to come to me?

Any tips and advice are appreciated!
    September? Good luck . Long gone my friend. Rut is over and bulls are hunkered down and won’t budge. Calling is a waste of time. With no snow to determine the right area it’s tough. Even for the best moose hunters.

^^^^ not always....in reg 8 two years ago I witnessed a cow moose just balling and moaning in the timber, and a big mature bull grunting back and heading to meet her,..they do occasionally still rut in November...if I were you OP I'd try strictly cow calling as suggested higher above..

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    ^^^^ not always....in reg 8 two years ago I witnessed a cow moose just balling and moaning in the timber, and a big mature bull grunting back and heading to meet her,..they do occasionally still rut in November...if I were you OP I'd try strictly cow calling as suggested higher above..
    I agree but that’s the secondary rut.. cows that were missed coming into heat because they were missed in their first cycle. Big bulls won’t tolerate small immys hanging around. It’s possible but not likely

we got a 3 x 3 bull around third week of October a few years ago that was hanging around a cow waiting to get lucky..

Quote Originally Posted by Pauly View Post
    I agree but that’s the secondary rut.. cows that were missed coming into heat because they were missed in their first cycle. Big bulls won’t tolerate small immys hanging around. It’s possible but not likely
    Ah ok..............

Check out where you've seen them before. Chances are they are still there. Unless someone else has found them.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Either you can hope one is still around and sit where you saw them or hunt for them just like you would anything else. There isn't anything that will give you an edge. Perhaps a trail cam pic that was taken in the last while? Get out there and have fun. Good luck. Post it if you get one!

Hmmm..kind of seeing things differently.hunting moose Nov. .its all about food..from ass to grass..lo the big bulls as has been correctly pointed out are resting..weary in well doing since late sept.
    some amount of cows are still open..didnt get bred.didnt catch...however its now the smaller bulls singing put me in coach..im ready to play..
    For over 90 % of the moose its all about and only about food..moose now consume 40..45 pounds of browse each day. .think 3 wheelbarrows full of twigs.in between its in the forest canopy bedding area .
    Trips to food are short..think 300 yards..or less..straight line there straight line back..
    First thing in am..look along tree line..cut blocks ,meadows...for moose warming up to first rays of suns warmth..literally melting frost off their backs..then check red willow, food..then head into the bedding areas slowly. .walking into the wind..you wont fool a loaf bread sized nose..
    its a tough hunt..but thats the strategies..
    Good luck.
    Srupp