Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Average shot on deer

Re: Average shot on deer

Average distance? Probably right around 200 yards I suppose. Closest was around 10
    yards, longest laser’d distance was 492. *May* have been one or two that were longer than that, but back before range finders.

Closest was a whitetail with a 264 Mag and a 140 X bullet, longest was with a 243AI and 105 Amax on a 4x6 muley.

Any and all deer I have shot could have been killed with a 243, and a significant number of them were with a 6mm.
    I’ve used 223/223AI, 243AI/6mm, 264mag, 7wsm, 308 Norma Mag, 300wm, 300 Ultra, 338 wm, and probably a few others I can ‘t recall off the top of my head.
    Currently all my deer hunting is done with a 223AI or 243AI, depending on terrain and mood.

I try to keep track of my shots,

bears my average is right around 70 yards
    white tail my average is 50 yards
    mule deer my average is just over 200 yards.

Closest 20 yards on a blacktail.
    Furthest 400 on a mulie.

Both with my 243 Winchester.

Recent Nanaimo transplant to Williams Lake

Not high speeds that cause damage it is bullet choice, and if the bullet does not expand then it is again bullet problem, high speed should open your bullet right away, it is when they go to slow that expansion is less. I have taken deer from 25 yards out to just over 500, but everyone is different in what distance they will feel comfortable shooting
    "People who know the least always argue the most."

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right, you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."

About 90 yards for the deer I have shot
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Closest mule was 6 ft, I was sitting a few feet below a game trail watching a cut in front of me and heard a sound, twisted my body in a half circle and a 4 point was staring down at me, I was able to slowly swing the gun around and point it at his chest and he folded in his tracks. Longest was 265 yds. Ive called in 3 blacktails to arrow range of 7 to 32 yds and called in four 4 point mules to inside 60 yds with the rifle. 3 whitetails called/rattled to inside 25 yds. Most spot and stalks are 70 to 265 yds out and a guess of average would be 125. Most with a 30-06 and some with a 300 WM
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

Stupid question, but does SKS(7.62x39) ammo come in expanding bullets?
    I generally assume that army surplus ammo is FMJ and therefore illegal for use on big game animals.

I don't own or shoot one, hence my question.

Federal fusion makes a hunting bullet for 7.62x39

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOtter View Post
    Stupid question, but does SKS(7.62x39) ammo come in expanding bullets?
    I generally assume that army surplus ammo is FMJ and therefore illegal for use on big game animals.

I don't own or shoot one, hence my question.
    There is a number of x39 soft point ammunition offerings.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

When I finally shoot one I will post, maybe this weekend, looks like my 270 should be fine, as long as I do my part.