Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Average shot on deer

Average shot on deer

I’ve killed a lot of deer,some really close( like stepping up on a rock hummock in salal and surprising a deer in its bed about 6 ‘ away ) and the longest, maybe 150 yards ,but the average shot was probably 50 yards or less.The old guy I used to know used his 25/35 and he had no problem filling his freezer with that.Obviously where you hunt and the terrain dictates whether you need the capabilities of a flat shooting long range rifle,but it seems to me anything that you can shoot with confidence is just fine,in fact the more powerful cartridges ie:7mm may be even less advantages than the moderate powered cartridges that dump their energy inside the deer rather than blowing right through without expanding ,or those high velocity rounds that kill the deer, but ruin a lot of meat.Admitedly,I’ve stepped back into the 6.5 x55 swede range ,even a 303 or 30/06 is overkill on coastal black tails ,it seems to actualy work better than higher velocity cartridges that the gun writers seem to be telling us we just have to have..and rush out and buy.Deer aren’t that hard to kill if you have a moderate cartridge and hold the rifle straight..

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Average shot on deer

30-40 yards for me, and use my 270 on just about everything in BC.
    I can always find ammo for it and don't pay the extreme that some pay for certain specialty calibers.

Quote Originally Posted by ratherbefishin View Post
    ,in fact the more powerful cartridges ie:7mm may be even less advantages than the moderate powered cartridges that dump their energy inside the deer rather than blowing right through without expanding ,.
    If a bullet isn't expanding, it's more of a bullet problem than a cartridge problem.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

I have shot alot of animals in the last 40 years, rangeing from 10 feet (186 7/8 inch mule buck!) to 500 yards,( 178 inch Whitetail!). It doesn't take much of a cartridge to dispatch a deer a 10 feet, but I carry a cartrige that will be just as effective at 500 yards. Why limit yourself?
    My cartridge of choice is the 300 WM for the most part. I will carry other cartidges, but they will all have the ability to reach out.

My average shot will be VERY different than someone that shoots a 30/30 with open sights and never practises past a hundred yards. The average shot WILL be very different between a hunter that only hunts the thick timber and one that hunts a variety of terrain from heavy timber to alpine to open country.

So, for me, the limiting factor on the cartridge I choose is NOT the average shot I will take. It will be the cartridge that will still perform at the outter limits I will hunt to.
    Last edited by btridge; 11-01-2019 at 02:05 PM. Reason: clarify average

Shots on deer for me have been from 4 to 400 yards. Any 308 class cartridge would have worked.

I've used .223,30-30,7.62x39,308,3006,303 Brit, 7RM,30WM, 300WSM 338 M, 375 H&H, 375 Ruger.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

I live on Vancouver Island where most of my deer hunting has been done and the typical blacktail a small deer and is taken at short range and in timber or overgrown clearcuts . Black bear share the same territory ,neither of which I have any desire to track through the salal that often is often so thick you can’t see your own feet,and you can walk right by a deer or bear that ran on you and never see it.This is as important in choosing a cartridge as the capability of shooting at 400 yards( if I could even shoot accurately at that range,frankly,I can’t, half that is pushing it) The venerable 30/30 is still in use and for a good reason,much like the Swede,( ballistically equal to a 270 after 100 yards,but with less recoil),they do the job and do it very well.

I have shot a few deer and elk,1 moose, in my day with the vast majority between 20 and 50 yards. I have shot one about 200 yards which is my longest but the bottom line is that I am not confident shooting distance because I don't practice shooting distance. I sight my rifle in for 100 yards and if the animal is much further then I try to get closer. Sometimes I get closer and sometimes the animal moves on.

My average range is 20 - 200 yards for taking deer...never been a prob with a .30-06 as long as I do my part..

All the deer I shot were shot with an SKS, so 7.62x39 cartridge. Rifle is cheap and semi auto, ammo is cheap. I comfortably shoot it up to 100 yards. Most of the deer I got were shot probably around 40-70 yards. Great gun for bush walking but I would like to get something as convenient as it but in 308 size in case if I get charged by a bear or want to go hunting a moose or an elk. Though finding those is probably even more difficult than a deer buck which I still haven't had success at harvesting. All the deer I got so far were does in an open doe season.

Average for here would be in the 100 yard range. I like a 120 grain bullet over 3200 fps. As we all know, not many deer stand still so most shots are at a moving target.