Thread: Rangefinder- Leica 2800.com or Vortex HD4000?

Rangefinder- Leica 2800.com or Vortex HD4000?

Looking to pickup a range finder for general long range shooting/normal hunting.
    No budget really, I'm more after ease of use, and NOT having to range something 10 times to know I got a good measurement.

I can't find out the ranging distance for the Leica for deer/trees/reflective targets. Does anyone know where I can find these?

Does anyone have any experience using the two?

Thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Rangefinder- Leica 2800.com or Vortex HD4000?

Lotsa guys went with Sig a few years ago. Might be worth checking out as well.

I'm still using an old Bushy, but I'm waaaay overdue for an upgrade myself.

The old bushnell were damn good, just really bulky.
    As for OP, I would go with Leica.

Have a set of Leica Geovids, Ive ranged everything out to 2200 yards(what they're rated for). Reflective does tend to be more consistent but if you are still, it will work out on trees to what it is rated for.
    Life begins where your comfort zone ends

WSSBC Monarch; RMGA; 2% for Conservation Certified; WSF; BCWF

Bass Pro has the Leupold RX-2800 TBR for $399 7x-2800 yards.
    worth a look.

If you want a ballistic calculator, go with the sig 2400. The ranger 4000 has great glass and ranges 2000 yards easily, but no calculator in it. The leica is just a good all around rangefinder.

I have a couple of Leica’s, a 1200 and a 1600b. The 1200 would hit 1300+ on reflective stuff, and I’ve gotten 1800+ on rocks with the 1600.

That said, save some money, and get a MUCH faster unit that will range way farther more consistently in the Sig. They have rangefinders figured out.
    The Sig will pan, meaning that you can just hold down the button and sweep it across the ground and get changing readings. The Leica is ok, but slow.

Leica makes phenomenal glass. I bought a Sig. Super happy with it. I know lots of guys love Vortex, but I’ve never been blown away with the quality of their stuff, but I typically look at mid range product. Best optical bang for buck in my opinion is Nikon.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

I have a sig 850 and I am not impressed, the furthest I have ranged is 680 yds on a building. I am sure the higher end models would be better. Looking at the offerings out there and the Nikon really catches my eye for price and features.

I ended up getting the Leica from Shooting Warehouse on CGN. He was running a pretty sweet deal on it, and even shipped it out today (a Sunday!) so I'll see it for next weekend.
    I run a switch barrel rifle between 6.5 Creedmoor and 300 Wby and the Leica seems like it'll be pretty easy to swap ballistic profiles (not that I do much long range anything) rather than having to load it on an SD card with a computer.