Thread: Calling and rattling in Okanagans November

Calling and rattling in Okanagans November

Hey all,

I'm looking for some advice on calling, rattling and all around tips for hunting November in the north Okanagan. Spent the last month scouting out a spot near King Edward lake. Found a great spot, tons of fresh sign, deer tracks, moose scat. I was out there at last light yesterday and had a mule doe and two fawns run up within 30 yards of me coming from a ridge down to some thickets where there's a ton of tracks I've been eyeing up. I've only ever really had good success hunting wide open sage brush and spotting muleys from a few k off and stalking in on them so this is all new to me. Its up around 1400m, few inches of snow in the ground, sparse timbered area leading down to draws with streams and a little bit of marshy areas with logging roads around. This spot is about a 20 min walk in off the road and not much human pressure from what I can tell from my scouting, in this particular spot.

I've never called, or rattled before so looking for general advice of this is the time of year to try it? What calls to get, what to stay away from. Heading out for the weekend and would love to try for a buck or spike fork if we get real lucky. Crunchy snow so still hunting is pretty much out, going to have to sit and look/listen.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Calling and rattling in Okanagans November

Find rut sign scraps/rubs don’t just call in random locations it’s way less effective. I do this in the bush not big openings

rattling and doe bleats(can call) are my got to

Its the rut pick a spot sit all day and call I run 20-30min between sets and 3 sets about 3-5min each. If I think I hear a deer during a quiet break I will use a doe bleat or 3 to try and get a response

Calling deer is most effective of WT and MD so so

I find rattling more effective in october when the bucks are sorting out their pecking order. However, the very first time i rattled was in mid november and I brought in both a muly and a whity buck at once! You can stick with rattling in the open country as well!

And I have my best results calling after the first week of November. So you have two hunters with opposite opinions and experiences lol

Either way get out and try it calling works. I will be out all day tomorrow or till a nice whitetail screws up

Don't freak out about the crunchy snow, deer make noise too.
    Just walk and try to sound more like a deer than a human trying to get somewhere in a hurry
    4 or 5 steps........pause..........grunt...............li sten.....................repeat............ or stay still and grunt

One of my better Mulie 4pointers came in on crunchy snow after a brief rain squall in the early a.m., figured it was time to head to the truck as nothing sane would be out moving in the crusty top on 8 inches of powder.
    The loud steps made me thing a couple guys figured the same thing and were power-walking out, saying f-it, til I heard a faint grunt. I replied and the stomping continued, right to me.....bang
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Shea, lots of traffic up KE so get in early and sit tight in a good spot and let the traffic work for you
    Patience is key , don't go chasing ghosts, it won't happen
    a grunt tube is your friend, use sparingly, but stay put
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Boxhitch is right about crunchy snow, just last year called in a Muley Doe and a Buck right behind her. Walked up an old Logging Road slow like, waited, called with True Talker, Doe n Buck stepped out. Unfortunately he was a 2 Pt and it was Nov.
    It's possible I didn't "call them in" but maybe my grunts settled them down.
    Either way, your plan is good. We are approaching key times for hunting, middle of Nov is awesome.

Let us know how it goes.

I agree with boxhitch make yourself sound like a deer. I usually use the bleat can during the rut instead but it’s the same theory