Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Have the wall tent...now what else?

Re: Have the wall tent...now what else?

Quote Originally Posted by northof49 View Post
    Done this many times. Sheet of plywood for roof and drape poly over and secure around bottom with rocks or logs to seal. Dig hole towards one end for dumping the hot rocks in. Good to have extra piece of plywood for shield for occasions when the odd rock explodes when adding water....had that happen few times. Sauna vacates in a hurry!!
    My buddy's wife has a pretty gnarly scar between her boobs from a shard of exploding river rock that stuck to her then got caught in her top.

This is a great thread, a wall tent is on my list of goals! Where are you guys buying these diesel heaters?
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Squamch View Post
    My buddy's wife has a pretty gnarly scar between her boobs from a shard of exploding river rock that stuck to her then got caught in her top.

This is a great thread, a wall tent is on my list of goals! Where are you guys buying these diesel heaters?
    Deluxe wall tents.
    There was a time I thought all parties that cared for wildlife and habitat conservation could find common ground. I was wrong. Adapt....

Ok, so here is the report. The Eco fan was fantastic! My buddy decided to buy a way too big tent and that fan made sure the whole tent was heated. Mouse traps came in very handy and kept out the vermin. Plastic or metal stakes would have been very handy to stake down the tent. I like the bright orange stakes from Princess auto because of their visibility. Also use bright yellow nylon rope for securing tent, the visibility when moving around the tent at night with a flashlight is sure nice. I bought two battery powered(6AA's each) LED strings from the Canadian tire Christmas section for $20 each. Although they worked, I would have preferred brighter, so next trip I will hang a bigger LED lantern from a chain from the ridge line. The torch to light the fire worked well. The porch for the kitchen was fantastic. We used 3 plastic short Costco tables which worked well. We took a stand up drying rack for clothes simply because we had the room and it worked great. Also took an RV mat for under the porch to keep out the mud and it also worked well. I took a plastic boot mat that we put the boots on near the fire. The lips on the mat keep any mud and snow from draining onto the floor and into walking areas. We had a 5 gallon tank mounted to the side of the stove and always had hot water. That was a GREAT feature. Well worth the price.

Next trip - welding blanket ^ stove. A broom for sweeping the dirt off the floor tarp.Some sort of pole or stake for the smoke stack and wire to secure them together.

I loved the heat from the wood stove, but I will be honest, I and everything I owned smelled so strongly of smoke I would think again about the diesel heaters. I grew up on wood heat and do not remember them smelling so strongly. Even my plastic watch strap still reeks of smoke. Deluxe wall tents were sold out of diesel heaters, so we went with the wood stove. Personal choice I guess.

Thanks for all your tips folks. They certainly made for more enjoyable trip.
    There was a time I thought all parties that cared for wildlife and habitat conservation could find common ground. I was wrong. Adapt....

Was it pretty windy? We went on one windy trip and had a lot of smoke in the tent as well at times. Clothes all aired out pretty quick though

We just did a trip this year and had zero smoke issue. It was fantastic.

We still bring a smoke alarm and carbon monoxide alarm just in case.

15+ years in wall tent with homemade wood stove, never had more than a passing smoke scent on clothes upon returning to civilization

sounds like a venting problem

which as noted, can be dangerous

(duh)

I don't know but it seems it's always windy in the fall. On year, it was especially bad and the stove didn't draw. I went to town and bought a couple of lengths of stove pipe as well as the beer and groceries. Just one length was all that was needed. I had one of those rain caps that weather vaned . I don't know if that helped, didn't hurt. If you have smoke problems, just add more stove pipe height. It also makes it easier to start the fire.

To help our stove draw, we also bring a level and have it tilted slightly higher at the back so the smoke naturally finds its way up to the pipe. To Seeker's comments on his findings too, we also bring:
    -an extendable aluminum rod with chain that we extend to stabilize the pipe
    -two welding blankets in the corner of the tent off the horizontal bars in addition to the blanket under the stove to protect the canvas
    -broom and dust pan as inevitably stuff gets tracked in, especially when I bring my dog
    -we have a 4 foot LED light we hang from the top of the tent and snake our electrical cord outside to our generator which we keep usually 20 feet or so away from the tent behind our cargo hauler or some such to dampen the noise. Something like https://www.homedepot.ca/product/tog...ght/1001304834 and you'll never be wanting for light. Our tent lights up like a massive white cathedral in the middle of the bush and is likely visible from outer space on a clear night LOL.

Now that you guys mention it, the stove was not level and I believe that the stack may have even been on the downhill side. Didn't think much about that, but I will on future trips.

I use my big buddy catalytic propane heaters my wall tent 18,000 btu, zero emissions
    I have a detector/alarm beside my cot just in case but it’s never registered anything and they have tip over and low oxygen shut down safety’s it’ll run 120hrs at low setting on a 20lb tank that’s 15. Toasty 8hr nights and no wet wood to deal with
    also use an rv outdoor straw mat for floor and LED lanterns from Costco on AA batteries they’re like $20 for a 3 pack
    and 1 or 2 light up the tent like your bedroom at home. Anyway that’s the best combo I’ve found myself

Catalytic heaters use oxygen.