Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Have the wall tent...now what else?

Re: Have the wall tent...now what else?

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    how many BTU and what size tent?
    Don't remember exactly on either count. IIRC it was 45,000 BTU, an old Army surplus unit. There were a bunch of them around a few years ago now they are hard to find. The tent was 24', a converted Costco garage. We used it early season up around Fort Nelson, kept the tent toasty when it dropped to -5. For real winter conditions that tent was just too damn big to keep warm.

Edit, thought it was 60kbtu but found a similar looking one on line and it said 45kbtu
    Last edited by albravo2; 10-31-2019 at 03:45 PM.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

I just did my first hunt in a wall tent. We were on cots with a wood stove. A lantern and headlamps are all thats needed. Id leave the generator at home unless you are bringing it for another purpose like a freezer.

I also tarped my tent.

Make sure you properly stake down the tent/tarp on day one !!!!!! The stakes I had were not suitable for a wall tent . We are going to make some 18" steel stakes before out next hunt

tarp cut to floor size

and area carpet - design not too important; florals are nice; dogs playing cards also work

in our 12x14 tent our carpet is about 7 x 9 - no need for coverage under cots (yet the tarp is 12 x 14)

pure luxury on those cold mornings!!!

astro turf is not carpet.........

also, we tie down 4 corners of tent tarp with logs not pegs
    Last edited by whognu; 10-31-2019 at 03:58 PM.

Good thread, good ideas.

I decided after this season I will no longer be roughing it.

A roll of indoor/outdoor carpeting, maybe a tarp under it. Someplace to hang your wet clothing. Since I had an internal frame , I was able to hang a couple 1/2" EMT tubes from the frame with some 1/4" rope behind the stove.. Coat hangers help. The most effective mouse trap is the pail of water, wire and a baited beer can. Instead of making pegs, I used 12" spikes with a 1/4" plastic washer, that I made like a fender washer. Bungees for tarp ropes. The poles went in a couple of boxes, the connectors and the bases in a gunny sack. I had a rubber hammer to put the poles in the connectors and take apart. I had made them to pretty close tolerances. A claw hammer to pull and drive the spikes. Kitty litter for the bottom of the airtight. A heavy welding glove so you can stuff the airtight, the more you pack in the longer your burn. Of course extra beer so your partner has to get up in the middle of the night.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    I just did my first hunt in a wall tent. We were on cots with a wood stove. A lantern and headlamps are all thats needed. Id leave the generator at home unless you are bringing it for another purpose like a freezer.

I also tarped my tent.

Make sure you properly stake down the tent/tarp on day one !!!!!! The stakes I had were not suitable for a wall tent . We are going to make some 18" steel stakes before out next hunt
    I read your thread re: wall tents. A good read. How long were the stakes you used? 18" is ahh..a big stake! Take a bit of hammering. I'll certainly look into stakes. Thanks.
    Last edited by Seeker; 10-31-2019 at 04:00 PM.
    There was a time I thought all parties that cared for wildlife and habitat conservation could find common ground. I was wrong. Adapt....

Quote Originally Posted by Downwindtracker2 View Post
    A roll of indoor/outdoor carpeting, maybe a tarp under it. Someplace to hang your wet clothing. Since I had an internal frame , I was able to hang a couple 1/2" EMT tubes from the frame with some 1/4" rope behind the stove.. Coat hangers help. The most effective mouse trap is the pail of water, wire and a baited beer can. Instead of making pegs, I used 12" spikes with a 1/4" plastic washer, that I made like a fender washer. Bungees for tarp ropes. The poles went in a couple of boxes, the connectors and the bases in a gunny sack. I had a rubber hammer to put the poles in the connectors and take apart. I had made them to pretty close tolerances. A claw hammer to pull and drive the spikes. Kitty litter for the bottom of the airtight. A heavy welding glove so you can stuff the airtight, the more you pack in the longer your burn. Of course extra beer so your partner has to get up in the middle of the night.
    One buddy simply shovelled dirt into the bottom of the stove rather than kitty litter. Seemed to work. Is there any reason in particular for using kitty litter?

Can never have too much beer.

Good ideas, thanks.
    Last edited by Seeker; 10-31-2019 at 04:02 PM.
    There was a time I thought all parties that cared for wildlife and habitat conservation could find common ground. I was wrong. Adapt....

Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    I have a diesel heater that I used with mine. Wood is nice but I didn't like the burn holes in my tent from cinders escaping the chimney. Diesel also lets you leave it on very low all night which makes a huge difference in the morning.
    Is that safe...I'd be worried about carbon monoxide

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    I read your thread re: wall tents. A good read. How long were the stakes you used? 18" is ahh..a big stake! Take a bit of hammering. I'll certainly look into stakes. Thanks.
    Our stakes were about 10" long. We had a wind storm blow on on the last afternoon that proved these were not good enough.

In any case, you wont regret your decision. Ive never been more comfortable on a hunt as I was in my wall tent.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 10-31-2019 at 04:39 PM.

We usually bring a generator for moose hunting if you’re going for ten days or so. My brother brings his 2000w Honda invertor with this adapter for running it off of a boat tank. It lasts for quite a few days like that with running electric heat. He would also bring his freezer. Fresh ice cubes with the whisky every night and we didn’t have to throw any food out when we got home. Almost every year we seem to shoot something early in the hunt so we get it butchered right away and go back to hunting. Pick up the meat from the butcher, throw it in the freezer and drive home.

I second the diesel furnace. I haven’t used one, but I don’t like wood. It’s too hot all night and then goes out and very cold. Other than drying your gear out there’s not too many plus sides for me.

my brother in law brought a small water pump one year and a hot water on demand thing that runs on propane. A complete luxury in my books, but it’s pretty nice to have a shower after being elbow deep in moose guts all afternoon.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.