Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Have the wall tent...now what else?

Re: Have the wall tent...now what else?

I've used sand, sandy dirt , ash and floor dry. You don't want any thing that can burn, you need it for insulation. That's only a thin gauge . Kitty litter and floor dry are about the same. Each hunting trip, the company supplied half a 5 gal pail of floor dry. More than enough. I just mentioned kitty litter because it's so quick and easy. Use fresh BTW. You dump it out when packing up. I think ash promotes corrosion ?

Hasn't been mentioned, but mice are almost guaranteed, so old bed sheets/poly/small clean tarp to cover tables, cots etc while you're out is nice peace of mind. A single mouse turd on my pillow is a big deal. Haha.
    Definitely bring traps and a rigged bucket in case the traps fill while you're out hunting.

A canning pot or similar to keep hot water on hand for washing, tea, etc. Stove is burning anyway, so might as well save the propane for cooking duties.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    We actually take a 12v fluorescent light fixture (18” long) with a 15’ cord equipped with battery terminal clamps on it and a small 12v battery out of an “old person sidewalk scooter”. It works awesome and last more than the 10 days we usually go. Zap strap the fixture to the ridge pole and run the wire along your poles.
    Old school. Now its the 12v led rope lights, run on AA batteries, 16 to 30 ft long, with remote
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

H*ll, fluorescents are new, I started with a white gas Coleman. But did end up with a 12v fluorescent, only one that took 8 D batteries. Good thing the company supplied batteries as well as floor dry.

We bring a bunch of 2ft x 2ft interlocking foam floor panels for our Cabelas Bighorn tent. They protect the tent floor and allow us to use cots without worring about the legs of the cots puncturing the floor. They are also easy to clean, dry and warm to walk on with socks or barefoot.
    Also use a Camp Chef wood stove. With enough stove pipe and a spark catcher on top, we have no issues with sparks burning holes in the tent.
    Semper in excretum altum

We to use the foam pads but the biggest thing I enjoy is one of those wood stove fans (powered by heat). Always found a huge temperature difference between top 2/3 and ground. Can be dweating in cot and the dogs water will freeze on the ground
    I don't shoot innocent animals... Just the ones that look guilty!

You guys with wall tents , do you ever worry about someone stealing your tent when your hunting ?

I wouldn’t worry as long as I didn’t have to cross any fn road blocks on my way in...
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Quote Originally Posted by gutpile View Post
    You guys with wall tents , do you ever worry about someone stealing your tent when your hunting ?
    Been lucky for a long time. All the expensive gear rifle, optics etc is usually on my person. Haven't had an issue. That being said I have heard stories.

we came back to a home made shelter one day, the blue tarp sides were missing but the roof tin was still there
    place looked like the skeleton of a ship wreck
    only took a couple hours to collect all the wind-blown items and reconstruct
    note to self - use more and longer staples

never thought about anyone stealing items, have things really deteriorated that much ?
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole