Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Have the wall tent...now what else?

Re: Have the wall tent...now what else?

Make yourself a wonagan (sp) . That's Canadian word for box of cooking stuff, plates cutlery, pots and pans. Mine was just a simple box, but others have made them so they sat on their sides with slots. Grab it and go.

I made these for my deer fence...1 by 1 cedar. Can make them as long as you want and they seem to hold quite well. Super cheap. That little piece in the middle is nothing, just used it to prop up for photo. Commercial ones seem pricey to me and too smooth, so they don't hold all that well.

Drill hole for the screws so the wood does not split.

Luxury Items
    1) MAP Gas burner (like a propane torch only way better)... makes lighting the stove even with damp wood a simple task!
    2) Talk to Jim at Polar Bear Equipment (makes great wall tents) and buy one of his clothes hammocks... awesome for storing and drying wet gear when the fire is going and keeps the mice and snakes out of your boots!
    3) A porch on your tent. Polar Bear Equipment. Use it for your kitchen.
    4) Get a great cooler
    5) and the creme de la creme - inline propane driven hot water shower running off a 12 volt battery pump! A month in camp is a holiday!
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Quote Originally Posted by Moose63 View Post
    Do you have a brand name or web link on where to get this?
    found ours States-side , similar to ones on Amazon.ca
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

All this talk about luxurys ......and no one mentions blue rigid insulation for the outhouse seat
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    All this talk about luxurys ......and no one mentions blue rigid insulation for the outhouse seat
    We bring 2 pieces and put them between the cots and the exterior wall. Makes a huge difference when the fire dies down. So cozy

A few things I learned in my limiter exposure to wall tent style of hunting:

-Bring slippers
    -Good bedding! I use a cot, thermarest, memory foam, thick blanket as a bed sheet .... seriously more comfortable than my bed at home.
    -a small broom
    -long ass screws and an impact driver. Useful for setting up around camp for us.
    - hooks or coat hangers for hanging shit up especially if mice are an issue.

Box-In-The-Bush is 22"x16"x16". I make it with the cheapest plywood I can find , as in free. Ripped 2x4s for frame. Finding $2 seats at the thrift store is getting hard, so for the last few years I've had to use the cheapest Walmart ones. Those pick axe hoes help with tree roots for the hole, as well as making camp sites. The best locations have a good view.

LED lighting is the best.
    I bought two 16 foot lengths of 12v LED ligh strips off ebay. 300 lights per roll, but you can cut them to any length desired.. They were under $10 each. Also picked up a remote control dimmer for them. A 12V motorbike battery was all we needed to light up the tent, porch and cooking area for two weeks. No annoying generator was the real bonus.
    A diesel stove is nice. Burns all night, no fuss no muss no smell. I was a wood stove diehard, but then I reluctantly tried a diesel stove. No going back, it's so much better than wood. No need to stoke fire in the middle of the night and runs all day on very little fuel.
    If you are going to use a wood stove, throw in an ice cream bucket size load of charcoal briquettes along with as much wood as can fit before bed. It will keep the fire smoldering all night long and keep the chill out.
    Have a proper damper on your stove pipe as well as fitting wood stove rope gasket around your door. Your burn time will improve drastically.
    A Zodi or similar portable shower is a true luxury.
    Bring a rake to help prep you tent site. A snow shovel is a good idea if snow is in the forecast.
    Skip the plastic tent pegs and get some sort of steel pegs. I use 18 inch long eyebolts that came off old Hydro poles. Easy to pound in and easy to pull out.
    As said by others, a chunk of indoor/outdoor carpet over a tarp will keep your feet warm and dry. Skip the astro turf and buy carpet.